Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have HP officejet 4500. On installing the new cartridge, I get error message "Print Cartridge problem : [Tri Color]. Refer to device documentation for troubleshoot."

I have run diagnostic test 41 and it shows Previous error as "Pen in left chute has too many good resistors, probably means shorted fires".

Can somebody help me what does this error means?

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Nobody knows about the error?

HP Recommended

I have this same error message after diagnostic test. What does it really mean and is there any resolution? Did you get anywhere since your post?

HP Recommended

Hello,

I see by your post that you are getting the message "Print Cartridge problem : [Tri Color]. Refer to device documentation for troubleshoot." I can help you with this.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

I have provided a document with some steps to try to see if that will resolve the issue. Manually cleaning the cartridges and contacts and resetting the printer.

'Incorrect Print Cartridge' or 'Print Cartridge Problem' Message Displays on the Computer.

Are you using Genuine HP Cartridges?
What are the ink levels?

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I followed the cleaning procedure and the error went out. I took 10 prints and it was working fine and I was happy that problem is sorted out.

But the moment, I restarted the machine I am getting the same error. Tried cleaning again and again error went out but reappeared again once restarted and it happens everytime.

Now I am confused what is the meaning of the diagnostic error.

HP Recommended

I had already carried out cleaning procedures, and reset, and tried yet further brand new cartridge - all produced no difference. Cannot really understand how printer works during the diagnostic 41 procedure but then immediately goes back to the error status. It is the "pen in left chute has too many good resistors, probably means shorted fires" which I would like to understand. Ink levels response depends on the actual status - during diagnostic test colour shows full and black shows about 50% - but when error status returns the colour shows empty, black unchanged!

HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for providing that information.

Please check your private messages for additional steps to try.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Thank you for sending this directly. Do you mean "[edited reset instructions by Moderator]. I have tried X plus 3 and the printer goes through a different start up routine but with no change to the cartridge status unfortunately. Also now the "wireless" indicator light is also flashing. I still cannot use the printer (except in back-up mode after removing the colour cartridge).
HP Recommended

Hi @inkjet3 ,

"Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I needed to edit your post and remove some information in regards to reseting the printer. From our Rules of Participation:

Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. Don't post contact or other personal information-your own or anyone else's-or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author's consent. For example, don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publically, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer.

If you have any questions about this matter please send me a private message.

Thank you

George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

I have also followed the step of partial reset, but no change of status of catridge. It works sometimes and does not as per its own wish,

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.