Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP Envy 4500 was working fine without any hiccoughs until three days ago, when it refused the WPA password it has been using all along.  I've checked the password still works with my other devices by having them forget the network, then rejoining.  No problems.  But the EXACT SAME password does not work on the printer any more.  Again, I emphasise that  it has been working for a few months.

I've restarted the printer, restarted my computer and my router.  No joy.

I have tried to manage the printer from the 192.168... address, but it won't connect.

I'm running Windows 8 on a Samsung Notebook, and have two cell phones and an iPad Mini running off the network.  The router is provided by Shaw (the internet provider), and shows all systems go.  I have no issues with wireless access on any other device.  Kapersky shows no malware.

What do I do now??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I spent most of the day trying to figure out the same problem and then noticed when you go to enter the WPA Passphrase, which is the same as the network key that you use to connect your other devices to your router, the printer was automatically starting out with a space at the beginning where you enter the passphrase.  I finally figured out how to get rid of that extra space at the beginning.

- Put your first letter/number/symbol of your passphrase in

- press the curved back arrow key on the face of the printer-  this will move your first character back to the position it belongs.

- press the right straight arrow on the face of the printer- this will move the cursor over to the next position

- finish entering your passphrase

Now it should connect-  the extra space at the beginning was causing the invalid wpa passphrase error for me.

I also had to switch my router security from WPA2 to WPA.  

FYI- my printer is the HP Officejet 4500 Wireless

View solution in original post

53 REPLIES 53
HP Recommended

Hi there @Jenny_Ann 

Welcome to the HP Community

I saw your post about how your Envy 4500 is no longer accepting the WPA password. I would like you to try restoring the network defaults on the printer to reset the network info, restart the printer and run the wireless setup again.

1. On the printer, select Setup, Wireless, Restore Defaults, Yes, Restart the printer.
  2. When the printer powers up, select Setup, Wireless, Wireless Setup Wizard, run through the setup and try connecting to your network again.

Please keep me posted on the outcome!

HappyThursday.PNG

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello,

I, too, am having the same issue since Feb 24th when I discovered it. My HP Laserjet color 200 lost it's connection to my network that was working well before.

The printer says my passphrase is invalid. It fails the security check on the networking report.

I have tried all the resets suggested and restoring defaults and went through the whole wireless setup, but it still will not connect to my network. I even tried WPS pin and WPS button.

I am using WPA-psk and WPA2-psk on my network for wireless b/g/n but the printer says my network is not using WPA.

The printer does see my ssid.

The firmware date on my printer is from 2012, if that helps. I cannot update due to this networking issue.

Please  @Rainbow7000 , please help.

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended
Yeah, I tried the factory reset, three times. I have also checked the router settings and the computer's network settings. Apparently this is an HP issue, and I need a fix. Without wireless capability, my printer is a big ugly brick taking up space in my office. Which isn't much of an office if I can't print!
HP Recommended

I didn't see this but just made my own post about this exacte problem, that started a couple days ago 

HP Recommended

Wow, this TOTALLY did not help!  I am probably going to have to buy a new printer, and I'm PISSED OFF about this!  The "replies" were mostly other people with the same problem. 

Do you have a solution??

HP Recommended

did anyone get a fix for this problem?

HP Recommended

Same problem here. I've got wifi set up, with all manner of devices hooked to it just fine (Wii, Tivo, Roku, Bluray player, baby monitor, cell phones, laptops, tablets, desktops). The old Canon printer connected just fine too. But the new HP Envy 4500 I bought to replace it won't. Keeps saying "invalid wifi passphrase", as others have reported. I've only owned it a couple weeks, so I can't say if it used to work months previously.

Odd thing is, on spurious occassions, it does connect and print wirelessly. Once, when I restarted the printer and router at the same time, it worked for a few minutes. But I've been unable to repeat that success. Another time, I connected the printer to my laptop to download new firmware (a process which also didn't work). Suddenly, the printer connected to the wireless (directly, not through the laptop). A few minutes later, it disconnected with the invalid passphrase error. As before, I've been unable to repeat this success.

I've tried the listed suggestions. Restarting. Resetting the printer. Double-checking the SSID and passphrase. Ensuring 802.11g and WPA are enabled. No luck.

Is anyone at HP looking into this, or do I need to return this printer?

HP Recommended

I spent most of the day trying to figure out the same problem and then noticed when you go to enter the WPA Passphrase, which is the same as the network key that you use to connect your other devices to your router, the printer was automatically starting out with a space at the beginning where you enter the passphrase.  I finally figured out how to get rid of that extra space at the beginning.

- Put your first letter/number/symbol of your passphrase in

- press the curved back arrow key on the face of the printer-  this will move your first character back to the position it belongs.

- press the right straight arrow on the face of the printer- this will move the cursor over to the next position

- finish entering your passphrase

Now it should connect-  the extra space at the beginning was causing the invalid wpa passphrase error for me.

I also had to switch my router security from WPA2 to WPA.  

FYI- my printer is the HP Officejet 4500 Wireless

HP Recommended

YES!!! It only took 2 months, but this worked! Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.