Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-one ser
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

The printer is nearly brand new and worked fine until I left for vacation.  Now that I have returned, it won't print.  The messages say "printer in use" and "check printer for error messages" but nothing shows on the printer.  The orange light is flashing but I have loaded paper in the deck.  I have re-installed the software and restarted the computer twice, but still no printing.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @suzela,

I would be happy to help you with your Deskjet 2540! I see it was working well until you returned from vacation. I wonder if the issue has something to do with communication between the printer and computer. At this point I can't say for sure what is causing the issue, but I can certainly help you work towards a solution! Please complete the following steps and let me know the outcome of your efforts:

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon (   ), and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or  Ctrl  +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected
Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Repair Disk Permissions
  1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-click Disk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window.
  5. Once the repair is complete, restart the computer.

Perform a hard reset (printer). To do so, leave the printer on and unplug the power cable for 1 minute. While it is unplugged, hold down the power button on the printer for 10-15 seconds to release any built up power, then after the minute has passed, plug the printer back in.

Now you can re-add the printer to the Mac:

1. Click the plus symbol to add your printer (version newer than 10.6 will need to select Add other Printer or Scanner ) I do not believe you need to do this for 10.6. Your printer should appear when you click the +                                                  
  2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' you can the printer driver 

I look forward to hearing back from you, and have my fingers crossed for good news!  🙂

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.  But I could not follow your steps because my Mac may have a different operating system (more current).  The icon is "Printers  & Scanners" and I could not delete other printers in the left panel. 

I did perform a reset the other day but that did not help.

I noticed that I only have a cable to the power source but not between the printer and the laptop (since it is wireless).  Could that be causing the problem?

When I hit print, the printer starts to click slightly but then nothing else happens.  The orange light begins flashing.  However, I have put paper into the output tray.

Thanks for any further help you can provide!

Best,

Susan

HP Recommended

This solution did help, at least for now.  A few instructions were a bit different probably because I am using El Capitan 10.11.6.  For example, I used First Aid instead of "permissions".  Sadly, I have been able to get my printer to work only previously only to discover that it no longer works the next day.  So, as the solution provider said, "fingers crossed".

HP Recommended

Here is what I used to connect my printer.  I am still concerned that the printer will lose connection again but I have been able to print for now.  Note that the begiining of my instructions are copied from the original author so no plagiarism intended!!

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon (   ), and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or  Ctrl  +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected
Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Repair Disk Permissions
  1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-click Disk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Select  First Aid.
  5. Once first aid is complete, restart the computer.

Perform a hard reset (printer). To do so, leave the printer on and unplug the power cable for 1 minute. While it is unplugged, hold down the power button on the printer for 10-15 seconds to release any built up power, then after the minute has passed, plug the printer back in.

Now I diverge: 

Instead of using the Mac Add Printer Utility, use HP's 123.hp.com AiO Remote Utility.  That will make sure your printer is up to date and added to your system correctly, including performing "add printer".

PS  No gaurentee how long your printer will keep working!!  Good luck.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.