Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 5530 printer
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hi,

Sometimes when printing, especially forms, the paper comes part way out of the printer and sticks there.  The display shows 'printing' and a circle, but nothing happens.  Finally I press the red cancel 'X' and the paper comes out, but the last part of the printing is missing.

I have tried the print and scan doctor but this happened to the test page afterwards.

Has anybody else had this problem and knows how to fix it.

Regards,

Mike

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @Mike-01,

. Good day.Smiley Happy Thanks for stopping by the Hp forums. I understand that you require assistance regarding the paper getting jammed sometimes on your printer. I will be glad to assist you here.

Fantastic description and fabulous diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy You are a valued HP customer and I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

• Did you bypass power strips and connect the printer directly to the wall outlet?
  • Did you change the paper brand?
  • For a start, we need to isolate clearly if the issue is hardware related or not.
  • Also, bypass power strips
  • Please perform a hard reset first on the printer from here perform options in step1 only
  • Then make 10 blank copies from the printer without any communication from the computer. We need to get the action of the rollers straightened out.
  • I am asking you to make blank copies so that the paper ejects without wasting ink.
  • Then try to make a couple of copies by placing a document in the printer’s flatbed and pushing copy.
  • If the issue continues, check this article for clearing paper jams.
  • Then check again. If it still continues, then the printer has a hardware issue and needs to be replaced by contacting HP phone support.
  • Try a couple of copies again and if it copies fine, Please perform these steps to uninstall the printer software.
  •  In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  •   Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Then reinstall the printer's full feature software from this link and also update the printer's firmware.
  • Then check again by printing. If it still does not work, please install and use the windows built-in drivers from this article. This should do the trick for you if the issue is not hardware related.
  • Also, try a different brand of paper and perform these steps diligently and patiently to try and correct the issue.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  Smiley Happy

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Davidsmp,

Thank you for your reply and detailed suggestions, but unfortunately they did not work.

The paper does not get jammed in the printer, it just starts to print and then stops - when I press the cancel 'x' it is then released smoothly.  I have never had this problem with photocopying on the printer, even double sided, but only with printing from the PC, and with multiple pages.

I did take the various parts out of the printer and checked there were no small pieces of paper or foreign bodies inside as in the article on clearing paper jams - the inside was clean and clear of obstructions.

The paper brand has been changed recently but I have been experiencing this problem for some time with the other paper too.  The printer is plugged straight into the wall socket and is not adjacent to the computer but operated by wi-fi.

As suggested I did the hard reset, blank copies, printed a few copies from a document on the flatbed - as usual this was OK.

As per your instructions I uninstalled the printer software (but not the HP Envy 5530 series Help, which is only 8.89MB) and then from your link installed the full software (161MB).  I also tried to update the firmware from the same link but it said it was up to date.

I have a document from a company on an Acrobat pdf file, and it is 3 pages.  I tried selecting and printing pages 2 & 3 - page 3 came out OK but page 2 stuck and only ejected when I pressed the cancelled 'x' on the printer.  I then tried to print page 2 on its own, but this stuck as before.  Finally I printed all 3 pages but this time pages 2 & 3 came out but page 1 stuck.

Sometimes there is a sort of click as if the machine is trying to react, but whether this is physical or trying to obey a command of course I cannot tell.

I could not see how to install the windows built in drivers from the other article as this says to add a printer and it is already added.  If you think it is worth a try I will have a go, but do I have to delete the software again and reinstall.

Some time ago I had a problem in that I could not open the 'store' in windows and this was finally resolved by altering a word in a file somewhere.  I am wondering if this problem is due to a corrupt file or something connected with windows 8.1.   I can telephone HP for advice but I would like to try as much as I can first in case it can be solved this way. 

Thanks again and I look forward to any further suggestions.

Regards,

Mike

HP Recommended

Hi @Mike-01,

I read the response. You've done a superb job of troubleshooting. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂

There are only 2 issues that need to be isolated. 

• Please uninstall adobe and reinstall it. Then update adobe to its latest version and check again i the issue is fixed.
  • Try a different application like word or excel and check if the paper gets stuck while printing.
  • If it does not, then adobe is the culprit. Try to download a different PDF reader like Foxit reader which is as reliable as adobe reader from this link and check again. This should do the trick for you.
  • If it does not please backup all your files and reinstall windows to factory settings and then reinstall the printer. It should work.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  Smiley Happy

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solutionas it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Davidsmp,

Sorry I forgot to mention that when I print double sided letters which I have created using notepad the last page printed is not ejected.  I will try uninstalling adobe just in case, but doubt if this is the answer, but will try Foxit too just in case.

I am dubious about reinstalling windows to factory settings and wondered if this problem has arisen due to staying with 8.1 instead of 10, which I do not want to do.

I will see how things go and let you know.

Regards,

Mike

HP Recommended

Hi @Mike-01,

I reviewed your quick response you have been amazing to work with considering your profound technical skills. you've done brilliant troubleshooting and Kudos to you for a job well done.:)

• It is either of these 2 things.Either Adobe reader is faulty and it could be resolved with an uninstall and a reinstall of adobe reader and updating to the latest version of adobe reader.
  • It has nothing to do with not upgrading to windows 10, trust me.
  • Otherwise, Foxit reader should do the trick for you if adobe reader is faulty.  It is not possible for 2 apps to be faulty.
  • As a last resort, you may need backup all your files and reinstall windows to factory settings. Then reinstall the printer software and later adobe reader. This should definitely do the trick for you.

Trust me I've done everything here to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. 🙂 You've  been absolutely superb to work with, by displaying great technical skills. 🙂 I thank you again for your time. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the printer works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Davidsmp,

Thank you for your reply.

Please do not be offended, as I realise you work for HP.  It is just that I wondered if talking to somebody from HP on the phone it might be possible to get some to- and fro- interaction rather than write and wait for replies.

I can confirm I have printed out (double sided) a letter I wrote using notepad and one side printed, the paper went back into the machine but the second side did not eject until I pressed the cancelled 'x' button.  I do not feel there is any point in uninstalling and reinstalling Acrobat now.

I am a bit nervous about reverting windows back to factory setting and losing all updates and settings.  I think one can go back to a previous point but again am not sure about this.  I feel that it is probably something simple but finding it is probably not.  I did once have to eliminate something using Revo uninstall - is it possible I could clean up something with this or similar, or look for corrupt files.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Mike

HP Recommended

Hi @Mike-01,

I read the post. If notepad works and a different software app like Microsoft word works as of now, then the issue is isolated to the adobe reader. So uninstalling ad reinstalling adobe could do the trick for you and it is not going to change anything on the computer like losing data.

You could try Foxit reader also. We do not recommend third-party apps as it is not tested by HP. 

If you want to go to a previous time before the issue occurred you could click on this link to try a system restore to an earlier time. But I am not sure that will work though. Select the option "Restore your computer when Windows starts normally"

If you still want to get in touch with phone support, then follow these steps:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services is taken care of by the manufacturer’s warranty.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  Smiley Happy

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Davidsmp,

Thank you for your very quick reply.

I uninstalled Adobe, but then tried printing the document I had trouble with using 'Reader' already installed by Windows I believe.  Again page 2 stuck at the same point as when I printed it from Adobe.

I also said above that my letter prepared on notepad also stuck, so it appears no one application is to blame.

Thank  you for your other suggestions, I will think carefully what to do next.

Regards,

Mike

HP Recommended

Hi @Mike-01,

Thanks for the reply. You are correct. No application is to blame. One other suggestion before you contact HP phone support would be is to try the printer on a different computer if you have access it does the same thing, then the printer could have an issue there.

You could contact Hp phone support to try and get the issue resolved.

Take care and have a great week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.