Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C4580

Hi, hope someone can help. I have an HP Photosmart C4580 with the correct ink cartridges installed. Was working fine until today when I got an error message about incompatible ink cartridges. I followed online tips, ending up with trying to reset the printer. It is now frozen with a blue screen and colours scrolling across the bottom on the small control pad. I have tried unplugging but it remains stuck when I plug back in. It is an old printer but was working fine yesterday. Any help would be much appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings @janesb

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are facing an issue with your printer, where the screen it not coming to the home screen. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

May I know how is the printer connected to your computer? USB or wireless. 

Recommend you perform a hard reset again on the printer. 

Disconnect the power cord from the printer and disconnect the USB if connected.

Wait a minute. 

Connect the printer's power cord directly to the wall outlet without any surge protector. 

Power on the printer and check. 

If the issue persists, connect the printer to a Windows computer using a USB cable. 

Download and install a firmware update for the printer from www.hp.com/drivers

Let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Chimney_83

Thanks for your reply. I am working on a MacBook version 10.7.5. I have tried a hard reset using a USB and have downloaded available drivers. The fixed blue screen has gone but I am still getting a 'incompatible print cartridge' message, even though they are new HP cartridges. The printer was working fine with these cartridges two days ago. Any other suggestions gratefully received.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. Please refer to this HP Article for assistance in resolving the issue with your printer where it is saying that the cartridges are not compatible. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.