Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet P1102W
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

UPDATE: The solution provided below worked on my MacBooks, both running El Capitan. Ignore the instructions provided in the P1102W's manual and follow the steps below.

I have a P1102W printer.

Recently my LaserJet P1102W is refusing to connect to wireless networks using WPA.

As it doesn't have an IP address, I can't access its web server.

It also will not connect to my Macs wirelessly via Bonjour. The printer will install when connected via USB.

I have installed Apple's HP printer drivers, containing the P1100 driver.

The P1102W has worked wirelessly before. I have only noticed this fault since installing El Capitan and moving the printer into a different room with my workstation.

I need the printer to use the wireless network, as I don't have enough space on my desk for it. And I can't place it anywhere within range of a USB cable.

Are there any possible solutions to this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @rcosgrove,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you're having some issues connecting your Laserjet P1102w Printer to your wireless network using your Mac computer. I can help you with that.

First, I would like to mention that connecting the printer to your network using a Windows PC would be easier. If you are unable to borrow or use a Windows PC instead, the following steps should allow you to connect the printer. If you can borrow a PC, please let me know what version of Windows and I can provide a link to the drivers to configure the printer automatically.

Preparing the Printer

1. Turn the printer off.
  2. While the printer is powered off, hold down both buttons on the top of the printer.
  3. While holding down the buttons on the top of the printer, turn the printer on.
  4. Keep the buttons held down for another ten seconds.

Setting up the Printer Wirelessly

1. Make sure the printer is connected to your Mac through the USB cable. 
  2. Click on your Apple icon, System Preferences, and Printers and Scanners.
  3. Click on your printer icon on the left.
  4. Click on Open Print Queue, Printer Setup, Printer Utility, open Printer Utility, and HTML Config.
  5. (If the above step produces an error, change your default browser to Safari. Please let me know if you need assistance with that).
  6. In this new window click on the Networking tab and then Wireless on the left.
  7. Under Communication Mode select Infrastructure.
  8. Select your network from the list and then click on the button with the arrows.
  9. Under Security Mode select WPA/WPA 2. If you have an old router, you may need to select WEP instead.
  10. Enter your wireless password in the field below.
  11. Click on Apply.

Now wait for a couple of minutes. Your printer should change to having a solid blue light. If it does not, either the password was entered incorrectly or there's a setting on the router that the printer is having an issue resolving. Please let me know if this is the case.

Once you have a solid blue light:

1. Remove the USB cable.
  2. Return to the Printers and Scanners Window.
  3. Hold down the control key and click on the icon of the printer on the left.
  4. Click on Reset Printing System.
  5. Click on the plus button in the bottom-left corner.
  6. In this window select your printer from the list.
  7. Click in the box next to Use and select your printer from the list.
  8. Click on Add.

Please let me know if you are able to print or the results after following the above. If you can print, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

I hope this information is helpful. Please respond to this post with the results. Good Luck! 

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @rcosgrove,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you're having some issues connecting your Laserjet P1102w Printer to your wireless network using your Mac computer. I can help you with that.

First, I would like to mention that connecting the printer to your network using a Windows PC would be easier. If you are unable to borrow or use a Windows PC instead, the following steps should allow you to connect the printer. If you can borrow a PC, please let me know what version of Windows and I can provide a link to the drivers to configure the printer automatically.

Preparing the Printer

1. Turn the printer off.
  2. While the printer is powered off, hold down both buttons on the top of the printer.
  3. While holding down the buttons on the top of the printer, turn the printer on.
  4. Keep the buttons held down for another ten seconds.

Setting up the Printer Wirelessly

1. Make sure the printer is connected to your Mac through the USB cable. 
  2. Click on your Apple icon, System Preferences, and Printers and Scanners.
  3. Click on your printer icon on the left.
  4. Click on Open Print Queue, Printer Setup, Printer Utility, open Printer Utility, and HTML Config.
  5. (If the above step produces an error, change your default browser to Safari. Please let me know if you need assistance with that).
  6. In this new window click on the Networking tab and then Wireless on the left.
  7. Under Communication Mode select Infrastructure.
  8. Select your network from the list and then click on the button with the arrows.
  9. Under Security Mode select WPA/WPA 2. If you have an old router, you may need to select WEP instead.
  10. Enter your wireless password in the field below.
  11. Click on Apply.

Now wait for a couple of minutes. Your printer should change to having a solid blue light. If it does not, either the password was entered incorrectly or there's a setting on the router that the printer is having an issue resolving. Please let me know if this is the case.

Once you have a solid blue light:

1. Remove the USB cable.
  2. Return to the Printers and Scanners Window.
  3. Hold down the control key and click on the icon of the printer on the left.
  4. Click on Reset Printing System.
  5. Click on the plus button in the bottom-left corner.
  6. In this window select your printer from the list.
  7. Click in the box next to Use and select your printer from the list.
  8. Click on Add.

Please let me know if you are able to print or the results after following the above. If you can print, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

I hope this information is helpful. Please respond to this post with the results. Good Luck! 

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you for providing that solution. It worked.

This solution is completely different to the instructions for setting up the printer's wireless function provided in its manual.

- Richard

HP Recommended

This also worked to set up my LaserJet Pro M12w, but it took 2 hours of troubleshooting and hp webpages to find the solution. This should be clear and easily accessible solution, not something found in the depths of the forum pages.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.