Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HPOfficeJet Pro 8630
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 with no password to my computer, although the previous installation did use a password. Now I can neither scan to network folder (error message that the username or password is incorrect) nor save faxes to my computer. (error message that there is no communication between the computer and the printer). I have checked the windows firewall, I have restarted the router, printer, and the computer. I am using an Ethernet connection to the router.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

First ensure that Password Protected Sharing is disabled for your operating system, otherwise it will fail:

From teh Control Panel, under Network and Internet open the Network and Sharing Center.

Ensure the Network type appears as Home or Work Network, if it is listed as Public Network click on it and select either Home or Work.

From the left pane click on Change Advanced Network Settings and select Turn Off password protected sharing.

Now check for any change.

If you experience any issues right click teh Shared folder and select Properties.

Under Sharing ensure that the folder is shared.

Click on Advanced, then on Permissions and ensure your user have full permissions to that folder.

Hope that may help,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

First ensure that Password Protected Sharing is disabled for your operating system, otherwise it will fail:

From teh Control Panel, under Network and Internet open the Network and Sharing Center.

Ensure the Network type appears as Home or Work Network, if it is listed as Public Network click on it and select either Home or Work.

From the left pane click on Change Advanced Network Settings and select Turn Off password protected sharing.

Now check for any change.

If you experience any issues right click teh Shared folder and select Properties.

Under Sharing ensure that the folder is shared.

Click on Advanced, then on Permissions and ensure your user have full permissions to that folder.

Hope that may help,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

When I go to   change the file sharing op tions via the control panel, the library shows that share is nobody.  It does not change to homegroup.

HP Recommended

Now I get the error message that the printer cannot write to the destination folder. Destination folder is read-only or has wrong permissions.  I have removed the checkmark for read-only for the files still get this error message.

HP Recommended

Right click the folder you are sharing and select Properties.

Open the Share tab and unshare this folder, then click on Apply.

Re-share the folder, in the shown dialog ensure that your user have Read & Right permissions.

Type Everyone into the top bar and add permissions as well, then click on OK.

Open the Security tab and locate your own user, it may appear differently in brackets with the format of PC Name\User..

Note down the user as appers witin the brackets and return to the Sharing tab.

Click on Advanced Sharing options and ensure the folder is shared in here as well.

Click on permissions and set the same permissions for your user and everyone as well (use the user name taken earlier from the security tab if it may be different than your user display name)

Confirm the changes and check again.

For any further issues it may help knowing what anti virus you are using on your PC.

Hoep that helps,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

I a m using AVG 2015 Pro as my anti-virus.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.