Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Hi!

I'm trying to setup scan to email using my gmail address.  I entered the address, and password, but tests have failed prompting me to check the password and/or email address.

I've checked them, and they're accurate.  I received an email from Gmail advising me they had prevented a sign-in attempt.

The email read:

'Hi Simon, 

Somone just tried to sign in to your Google Account .... from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards.  We strongly recommend that you use a secure app, like Gmail, to access your account.  All apps made by Google meet these security standards.  Using a less secure app, on the other hand, could leave your account vulnerable.  Google has stopped this sign-in attempt, but you should review your recently used devices'

Has anyone else encountered and overcome this error?

Thanks in advance for helping me!!!

Regards

Simon99

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, many around inclding myself because Gmail uses different way to check password. My solution: use Yahoo.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

We are seeing this same message from Gmail using an HP 8610 on OS X on an iMac

This one is really bizarre because I set up one of my Gmail accounts on ths same system a few months ago on the same printer and it is STILL working like a champ.

Today I tried to add a friend's Gmail account using the EXACTlY the same setups as my scan to GMail account which is working.

It failed!!!!

I went into the settings for our two Gmail accounts and made sure that they were the same. They were exactly the same.

So I tried to addd my secondary Gmail account to this same HP 8610 printer and guess what . It failed!!!!

**bleep**?

Has Google added a new secuity sign in protocall that only checks at the set up stage? Why does the scan to email still work on my main Gmail account.

By the way I have scan to email working on my own HP 8610 and my son-in-laws HP 8600. Why can't I set it up on this 8610?

Why are we seeing this warning from Gmail on the new setup when it works fine on my exising sent to email? 

HP Recommended

PROBLEM SOLVED

🙂

Google changed the security levels for accepting handshakes with other apps.

However to add to the confusion and mystery; historical apps that were sending to your email were grandfathered in

New apps that are less secure than Google's NEW standard are BLOCKED!

Go here https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps and select turn on access for less secure apps and it will work if our other settings are correct. Both my friends's Gmail account and my secondary Gmail account now accept scan to email form the HP 8610

HP needs to get the "lead out of their asses" and fix whatever it is that causes Google to assert that HP print to email is a less than secure app

Nuff  said

HP Recommended

Hi Simon ,

Please document that would assist you on this Gmail setup issue 

The below steps and screen shots explains how to configure scan to email for gmail.com.

Step 1:- Kindly change the DNS to the below mentioned IP Address.

Primary DNS: - 8.8.8.8 and Secondary DNS: - 4.4.8.8

Step 2:- Kindly ask Customer to put in the User name and password as credentials are required for the printer to access the SMTP gateway.

Step 3:- please use the below SMTP gateway address and port to configure scan to email.

SMTP gateway: - smtp.gmail.com and Port: - 587/465.

Enable SSL authentication and use gmail email address and password

Step 4:-   In case of Gmail accounts the account holder must grant permission to access the gate way.

On using the Gmail credentials the account holder receives an automatically generated email with login attempt details. Please find the below screen shot of the email the Gmail account holder receives.    

Spoiler

The account holder has to log in to his Gmail account and click on the highlighted link to grant permission to the printer to access the Gmail gateway. Below Snapshot indicates the page that the user will be directed to on clicking the link. Customer will have to Turn ON the Access for less secure app. https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

HP Recommended

HP Expert Huh, switching to Yahoo mail is not even a consideration, just because HP lacks security and cannot keep up with growing technology is something they should be mindfull of, still looking to scan and send emails from my printer I wouldn't think this should be a challenge in this day and age.

HP Recommended

This is total greek to me.  I don't even know what some of this stuff is!

No help whatsoever.  HP just needs to fix this problem .

HP Recommended

I have the same issue, and I don't really want to set the "allow less secure apps".  It's been over two years since this was posted, does HP not yet have a secure solution?

I am using a new HP 8730.

Thanks

Dave

HP Recommended

I had a very similar situation, and could not use the "Less Secure Apps" option because I have 2-factor authentication turned on for Gmail. In order to get my printer to connect to my email, I had to go to https://myaccount.google.com/security and click on the "App Passwords" option. From there, I created a password specifically for the printer, put that in the password field in the printer settings and my email address in the account field. I saved and tested and it connected wonderfully!

HP Recommended

This worked very well for my HP Printer. I did have to first enable two factor authentication in my gmail account. Now I can scan to email from my printer! Hallelujah!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.