Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

In the document below (to save you some time) I have included the steps to try now:

--Blinking Lights--

1.  Picking up from the previous suggestion - "Repeat these steps to insert the other cartridge into its designated slot.
2.  Close the cartridge access door.
3.  An alignment page prints automatically. If the alignment page does not print automatically, follow these steps to print one manually:
      a) If the product is off, press the On/Resume button ( ) to turn on the product.
      b) Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the product.
      c) A sequence of buttons on the control panel must now be pressed in the order presented. The sequence must be completed within ten seconds. It might take several tries to complete the sequence within ten seconds.
      d) Press and hold the Cancel button ( ).
      e) While holding the Cancel button ( ), press and hold the On/Resume button ( ).
      f) When the Check Paper and Check Print Cartridge lights begin to blink simultaneously, release both the Cancel button ( ) and the On/Resume button ( ).
4.  Press and release the Cancel button ( ) again.
5.  Press and release the Copies button.
6.  Press and release the Paper Type button.
7.  Press and release the Color Start Copy button.
The alignment page prints."

Printing the alignment page will let you know if all the colors are printing and if you are experiencing any other errors as well. Give this step a try and let me know if this helps. 

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

I appreciate the information but unfortunately I am still receiving the same error and check print cartridge light blinking. I tried your suggestion several times and was able to complete within 10 seconds. I do hear the cartridges moving but nothing happins other than going back to the error.

Time for a new printer?

HP Recommended

Unfortunately if the above step didn't work, it may be that time.  I do not know if your printer qualifies due to its age but you can call into HP Total Care to see if they have any discounted printers available since you have that one that doesn't work. US residents can call 1-800-474-6836 to ask about their upgrade options.  I'm not a salesperson or anything but if I can at least help you save some money then I was of some assistance. 🙂

HP Recommended

Is this deliberate obsolescence? Do the printers have a built in 'time bomb'? My parents 1315xi just quit one day with this same error. Not knowing any different, they bought new cartridges, which, as this thread suggests, didn't help. They still have a non-working printer and are out half the cost of a new one for ink they can't use. Advise them to go to HP for a replacement, even at a reduced price? You have to be kidding.

HP Recommended

Have you tryed reseting the cartridge? Worked for me.

Follow the page down untill you reach the instructions "RESETTING"- http://www.bs-print.co.uk/HP-57-Ink-Cartridge-Refilling-Instructions.html

HP Recommended

When all els failes......http://youtu.be/zVR2dHebmTI

HP Recommended

Those are two great tips! The first one I have never heard of but the second one you posted I have had others tell me actually works. You can see exactly which thread this all played out on by clicking here.  Of course you would want to be careful if you choose that step tho. Thank you for the share! I'm going to share the tip and video you posted here on that other thread too.

Thanks! 😄 

HP Recommended

The button pushing solved the problem temporarily.  I've needed to do this frequently regardless of the quality of the print cartridges.  I suspect that the electrical contacts in the printer are at fault.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.