Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4630
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

When I go into Printer Shortcuts (Devices and printers > right click printer > printing preferences > printing shortcuts) these are locked. There is a LOCK on each option, making it impossible to customize printing. I just bought this printer, making me the administrator. This printer uses a ridiculous amount of ink and I should be able to use the printing shortcut options.

I have seen that many other people have the exact same problem.  Why does HP sell printers that can't be easily utilized? This is my first HP printer, and I am starting to regret purchasing it.  NEVER had this problem with Canon. 

Note: HP Print and Scan Doctor is no help and the "cloning" advice didn't work either (Windows did NOT create a new shortcut titled 'User Specified Print Settings' at the bottom of the list).  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, except for "Factory Defaults" all the locked shortcuts can be saved under a new name when you change at least one of the 5 options like the Paper Type.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi, except for "Factory Defaults" all the locked shortcuts can be saved under a new name when you change at least one of the 5 options like the Paper Type.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

My shortcuts suddenl appeared with each one locked.

Being locked i am unable to do anything with them now let alone Save them as you recommend.

Thanks

Rodney

HP Recommended

Hi Rodney, you need to change the shortcut name in order to save it.

HP Recommended

Thankyou for your reply. Murphy's law cicked in and suddenly my shortcuts are no longer locked.

Regards your suggestion, with the shortcuts locked i was not able to do anything with them at all. i was unable to change them.

Are you able to tell me why my printer stopped printing pages in reverse order and i am completly unable to get it to do that again. i mean print last page first.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi.

Following my earlier reply to yours my shortcuts are locked again and am unable to access them.

HP Recommended

Any errors in the Device Manager?

Have you tried to re-install the HP software?

HP Recommended

Hi,

No errors in device manager.

I have uninstalled; removed device; installed and reinstalled device about 3 times to no avail.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi, what is your printer model/make? Windows version?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.