Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600 Premium
Windows 7

I am now getting the following error message "User name or password is incorrect. Make sure the credentials are correct in the configuration" when attempting to scan a doc ument to a designated folder on my PC. 

I have not changed anything (folder permissions, location, drivers, passwords, etc) and it has worked since the printer was new. It stopped this week but I can't determine why. I can scan to a memory device and scan to the computer but no longer to a network folder. Any solutions?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hey @rlpinia,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you were able to use the 'scan to network folder' digital filing feature for your HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium e-All-in-One. However, the feature has suddenly stopped working for you on your Windows 7 computer. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue. Generally when something like this is set up and working for a period of time and suddenly stops, it is caused by a Windows Update that may have run on your computer. To resolve this issue, please follow the steps below.

Now you should still have the folder on your computer that you wish to save your scans to so I wont walk you though setting that back up.

1. Open the HP Printer Assistant software, and then double-click Scan to Network Folder Wizard
  2. When the Setup Network Profile window displays, click New to create a network path to your folder. However, in this case, you should see your original profile there. See if you can click on your current profile and select 'edit' or 'modify'. Should you not see your original profile, just click the New option.
  3. Click Browse to locate the network folder that you want scans saved to for this profile.
  4. Enter a folder name. This is the name that will display on the printer control panel for the folder you will select to send scans to
  5. Enter a security pin to restrict access to this folder from the printer control panel, if desired
  6. Enter your Windows User Name and Password. You must have administrative rights to the computer or server that hosts the network folder
  7. Click Save and Test to complete the folder configuration.

Source: Scan From the Control Panel

If the Save and Test portion fails than there could be a conflict with the folder sharing options, again due to a Windows Update that may have altered your system settings. Please ensure that your folder is still set to share properly. If you're not sure how to check these permissions options, please click here for steps.

After ensuring that the permissions are correctly set, please rerun the Scan to Network Folder Wizard and Save and Test when prompted. If this still fails there could be an issue with the folder itself.

Please try to create a new folder and run the wizard again to configure it for the new folder. Even a simple folder on your desktop will do for a test. If everything passes this time when you run the Save and Test this will tell us that there is a corruption or issue with your prior folder.

Please let me know if the steps I've provided resolve your issue. Should you still be experiencing issues be sure to let me know what occurs when you run the Save and Test option for your current folder, and when you run the Save and Test option for a new folder. Best of luck! Smiley Happy

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks X for the great instructions. Unfortunately I do not have the HP Printer Assistant SW on my PC and can't seem to find it on HP's.  I can open the printer from my browser and from the Start/All Programs/HP/Officejet Pro 8600 but neither of those give me the options you describe. 

I suspected a MS update clobbered something but I'd rather not try backing those off.  Can you send me a link to the 8600 Pro N911n to get the Printer Assistance SW? 

HP Recommended

Hey @rlpinia,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue. Because your HP Printer Assistant is missing from your system you may not be using the latest drivers. This leaves us with two options.

Option 1: Set the Network Folder Setup options through the Embedded Web Server (printers website):

1. Open the printers website through your internet browser using the printers IP Address

2. On the Home tab, click Network Folder Setup in the Setup box.

3. Click New, and then follow the onscreen instructions.

4. After you have entered the required information about the network folder, click Save and Test to make sure the link to the network folder is working correctly. The entry is added to the Network Folder list.

This Network Folder Setup Wizard works the exact same way as the Network Folder Setup Wizard in the HP Printer Assistant software.

Option 2: Uninstall and Reinstall Drivers:

1. Click on your Start menu
  2. Select All Programs
  3. Select the HP folder
  4. Select your HP Officejet
  5. Select Uninstall

Follow the onscreen prompts to complete the uninstall process. Once the uninstall has finished, proceed to the next step.

1. Click here to download the latest drivers for your printer.
  2. Once the website opens select the Download button on the top left
  3. Allow the download to Run when prompted
  4. After the download is complete an extraction to 100% will automatically run
  5. Your installer screen will now open
  6. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall your printer.

Once the installation process is complete on your computer desktop you should see the HP Printer Assistant icon Untitled.png

Open the HP Printer Assistant and follow the steps I provided you in my prior post to complete the Network Folder Setup Wizard instructions to resolve your scan to network folder issues.

Please let me know if either of these steps resolve your issue. Best of luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I've uninstalled and attempted again to install this. Consistently I get to the "Checking Network Environment" portion of the install when it hangs and does not respond. I've waited an hour before killing it. This has happened multiple times. 

I have the USB disconnected but I do have an ethernet cable from my router to the 8600 printer and am attempting to install it as a wired network printer.  I do have an 8500 connected to my network also which I can connect to via wireless. It is not connected to this HP p6240f desktop running Windows 7.

I'm beginning to wonder if this an issue with the printer or PC? Is there a way of rebooting the printer?

HP Recommended

I was finally able to get the HP Printer Assistant SW to install and open but only after installing using the USB. However there is no Scan to Network Folder Wizard link. Here is an image showing what I have available. Also I have tried mulitple times to set up and edit the network folder and get the same result of "Incorrect Credentials".  I had not changed these since setting up the folder at the time I first setup the printer several months ago.  Any tips on Folder information? I 

folder info.JPG

setup folder.JPG

incorrect cred.JPG

You can see I do not have the function you suggested earlier. 

HP printer assistant sw.JPG

HP Recommended

Thanks X-21. I finally got there. Something had changed the network folder profile fields so after restructuring the correct information I can now scan from the printer to the designated folder as previously done. I'll never know what changed those but something had. 

Thanks much for all your help. 

HP Recommended

Sorry X-23, I referred to you as X-21. Great help!

HP Recommended

x-23, I hate to report my problem is back. I have not changed anything on this computer but the scan to Network Folder has stopped working again.  I try the same creditionals that worked 2 days ago using the EWS utility and it fails to work. Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Hello @rlpinia,

I'm sorry to hear that the 'incorrect credentials' issue with your Scan to Network Folder feature has stopped working again. I do believe that there is something on your computer or within the Network Folder you have been using that is causing the credential issues.

Have you tried creating a new folder on your computer desktop and rerunning the Scan to Network Folder wizard to verify if it completes and works with a whole new folder?

If it does, than this proves that the issue does not lie with the printer or the printer software or drivers. Rather, it's most likely the sharing issue that originally seemed to have caused this issue in the first place.

To verify if the sharing is correctly please follow the steps below:

1. Right click on the Scan folder you have created.

2. Left click on Properties

3. Under the General tab, ensure that the folder is NOT set to Read Only. If it is, uncheck Read Only and select Apply.

properties.png

4. Next, click on the Sharing tab

5. Select the Share button

6. When the 'File Sharing' window opens, select your User Name and choose Share at the bottom.

sharing 1.png

7. Lastly, choose the Advanced Sharing option

8. In the Advanced Sharing window select Share this folder

9. Choose the Permissions option

10. Ensure that Full Control, Change, and Read are all enabled

11. Select Apply

sharing 2.png

Once the folder sharing options have been verified as correct, please test your Scan to Network Folder again.

As I stated before, if these steps fail for the folder that you want to use, please create a test scan folder on your desktop to verify if a new folder works or not.

Please let me know the result of your troubleshooting. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.