Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series laptop.  I am trying to connect wirelessly to my HP 7640 Envy printer.  I was able to "find" the printer, but then I was asked to enter my WPS PIN.  I could not find anything labeled like that on my router or printer.  I have entered every number I can think of that would qualify as a PIN to no avail.  Please help.

HP Recommended

Windows 10

Find printer

Finds Envy

Asks LITERALLY:  "ENTER THE WPS PIN FOR YOUR PRINTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can find the WPS PIN on your DIRECT-64-HP Envy Printer series or in the info that came with it. "

HP Support in this thread keeps wrongly saying the WPS PIN is in your ROUTER.   THE PRINTER SAYS ON THE PRINTER.

The referenced user's manual has the word "PIN" in it but only in regard to EMAIL setup.  

Can't someone who KNOWS THIS PRINTER and Windows 10, please answer the question for all of us?

I even remember seeing 'use a pin of (then some maybe 8-9 digit number)' when poking about the menus on the printer the other day, but can NOT find it now when I need it.  

Thank you!

HP Recommended

• From the main menu, hit the wireless symbol, the the "settings" symbol (the gear wheel).  Then click on "wireless settings" then "wi-fi protected setup", then "PIN". Your PIN will be displayed there.

When I tried that, the printer wouldn't let me as it says I'd have to disconnect Ethernet first. 

SO I started over in Windows 10, scanning for printer, telling windows it didn't find it, then referencing the printer by its hostname (from the ethernet menu on the printer).  Works fine now.

HP Recommended

It would help if people on this thread knew what they were talking about. 

Windows 10 is asking for a WPS PIN to allow me to add a wireless printer.  This has not happened on any iother device and to my knowledge there is no PIN. 

It is not asking for the Router PIN it says the PIN is on the Printer (which it is not) or in the documentation (if anyone kept the doco).  I have tried the obvious 0000 or 1234 and they do not work and I have tried my go to PIN in case I had set it and forgotten doing it.

Either this is an HP issue or a Windows 10 issue (although no other Windows 10 PCs have asked for a PIN nor have my Macs.

If you do not know what you are talking about do not answer the thread - this is a real thing and trying to tell us the answer to a problem we do not have does not help. Someone out there knows why we get this message and how to fix it because they have seen it before or they wrote the code.

HP Recommended

From what I have seen, the Envy supports DIRECT wireless connect, i.e. you don't need a router.

If your 7640 is NOT connected to Ethernet, then when you search for printers you will see the one with "Direct" in its name, and you follow the steps I copied above about going to the wireless network menu on the printer, and get the pin.

IF you have Ethernet connected, then the wireless pin will not be shown on the printer, but (guessing, I think it happened to me), Windows 10 found the wireless DIRECT, which in fact was NOT the printer I wanted, but there should be a 2nd printer with similar description but not "Direct", which is the Ethernet.

HP Recommended
Ignore the other comments, I was having the same issue with Windows 10. Follow these easy steps.
1. Connect to modem via ethernet.
2. Login to modem > LAN settings > client list > find ip address for printer
3. Select add printer on computer.
4. If printer shows up, do not select it.
5. Select "the printer I want isn't listed", even if your printer is listed.
6. Select add printer using tcp/iPhone address or hostname.
7. Enter the iPhone address from step 2.
8. Enjoy actually using your printer rather than listening to nerds who don't know what they are talking about.
HP Recommended

The person above was making sense to me.   I have a envy 7640 printer that has been online for months.  Two laptops have been using this printer wirelessly for months.  I bought a new HP laptop with Win 10 and while setting up the printer in the laptop under add a printer it asks for the wps pin and says it is located ON THE PRINTER!!  So could you kindly go into some more details as to what could be wrong based on these facts  given rather that jumping to a conclusion that what the person is saying is not what is happening.  Thanks

HP Recommended

Okay I do not know if this will work for every one but this is what I learned after about 4 hours of trial and error.  Apparently the WPS Pin request is a Windows thing,  I have Win 10 trying to connect a new HP laptop to my many months in service 7640.  When I add a printer in the control panel area it gives me two choices, the printer and another printer titled Direct.  The Direct is the one which will produce the WPS pin request so don't choose this one.  For me choosing the other loaded everything okay except as I found later the auto set up always chose the wrong port so it would not print and I always got an error saying the printer needed user intervention.  The trouble shoot program was no help.  

I tried using the manual install by selecting the printer not listed choice and entered the Host name of the printer (in my case the host name was HPA4D6D6).  However, again this method would choose the wrong port.  For me choosing to enter the actual IP address for the printer solved the issue.  This information is available on the printer screen under wireless info.  When I entered the IP address of 192.168.1.245 it filled in the other blanks automatically and Laptop is now talking to the printer.

I hope this helps some of you with similar problems because the HP guys here seem to have a fixation on the router.

HP Recommended
Can YOU give me pin number please
HP Recommended

There is no direct printer pin. Do not select direct printer as your option. Please read the above entry again!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.