Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm attempting to add my HP ENVY 7640 printer to my new Sattelite laptop and the laptop is requesting a "WPS PIN" for the printer. I enter the WPA2 password from the printer but the laptop won't accept it. Am I missing something here? I've tried to get the printer to communicate with my iPhone5s using the WPA2 password as well with no success. I'm using Windows 8 on the laptop with the latest updates and also have the latest updates on the iPhone5s. Please help! Thank you. 

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

@EddieG3 wrote:

I'm attempting to add my HP ENVY 7640 printer to my new Sattelite laptop and the laptop is requesting a "WPS PIN" for the printer. I enter the WPA2 password from the printer but the laptop won't accept it. Am I missing something here? I've tried to get the printer to communicate with my iPhone5s using the WPA2 password as well with no success. I'm using Windows 8 on the laptop with the latest updates and also have the latest updates on the iPhone5s. Please help! Thank you. 

Well something does not make sense here.  You don't add a printer via WPS to a computer.    The WPS pin is in the router which you make no mention of.    Time to start all over and follow the manuals instructions exactly to connect your printer to your routers network.    Follow the manual to connect to your router following the Infrastructure method, not WPS.

HP Recommended

Not so. I got the same message installing my printer on a computer on my network running Windows 10. Additionally, the manual refers to a Wi-Fi Direct Password, not a WPS PIN, but gives the user no clue where or how to find the Wi-Fi Direct Password or WPS PIN.

HP Recommended

Just purchased HP7645 printer and need to know where the WPS PIN is

HP Recommended

Your WPS pin is located in your router.  Either on a label on the bottom, or you will have to access the internal web pages and find it.  Only you know what this is.

HP Recommended

I get the same message when I try to install the HP ENVY 7640  It says" Enter the WPS PIN for your printer. You can find the WPS PIN on the ENVY 7640.  I looked all over for it and cannot find it. I tried using the WPS PIN off the router and that won't work. Any other ideas? 

Thanks! 

HP Recommended
I need to find the WPS PIN number on my printer. I cannot find my manual.
HP Recommended

Hi @Wandaking

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. As sabretooth04 mentioned, the WPS pin is found on your router not the printer. 

Also, here is a link to the printers manual. http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04426138

Hope this helps. If it did, that’s awesome! Give us some reinforcement by hitting the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Aardvark1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I  hooked up the printer USB to one maching and the other I want to do wireleslly. I've entered the wireless password to connect the printer to the router and then when I enter the router WPS pin# I get the "That didn't work" failed message and try again, and again, and again.

Tryint to connect wo Windows 10 Toshiba Satellite Laptop.

Any thougts?

HP Recommended

You shouldn't have to enter both a network password and WPS pin. It should be one or the other. 

Are the steps you are doing the same as those in step 5 of this document? 

HP ENVY 7640, Officejet 5740, or Officejet 8040 e-All-in-One Printer - First Time Printer Setup

Aardvark1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.