Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

We've upgraded to Web JetAdmin 10.4 SR1 (10.4.99821) and find that all our newer devices are showing a "Device Communication Error". Models affected are:

HP LaserJet 400 M401dne

HP LaserJet 400 color M451dn

HP OfficeJet Pro X451 dw Printer

HP OfficeJet Pro X476 dw MFD

HP Pagewide 352dw Printer

Older HP devices, Canon devices, etc are all displaying and communicating perfectly. 

I've looked through "HP Web Jetadmin 10.4 Installation and Setup Guide" and set the server's IP address specifically everywhere I can. I've made sure that the firewall is not blocking any communication between the server and these devices, yet "Device Communication Error" is the obdurate response. Can anyone suggest what I've missed, or how to tickle the system into successful communication?

Thanks

William

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. The strange thing for me is that my upgrade to 10.4 SR1 seemed to fix the problem until I performed a recent reboot of the server it lives on. This reboot put all of those devices back in error. So I went form a perfectly functioning build to a broken build with nothing but a reboot.

HP Recommended

Was anyone ever able to resolve this? I have exactly the same situation. It was working, updated the console, and now the 400series is dead in the water.

HP Recommended

Hi.

I have exactly the same problem with the LaserJet 400 Series on HP WJA....

Any soloutions for this?

HP Recommended

Hi All, I'm using HP M602 and M603s with Web JetAdmin 10.4 SR3 and noticed the same device communication errors. I know my network connection and DNS is fine. I noticed that on the machines with device commuication failures the self signed security certificate had expired. On the devices that were fine they were all active well into the future. So I logged into the printer web console and went to the Networking Tab-->Security-->Authorization and then configured a new self signed certificate (we don't have a CA for our printers). 

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended
Hey C V,

did this help?
Are they communication errors away?

THX
HP Recommended

Yes it did. My Device Communication Errors immediately went away for all of the printers that I ran this on.

HP Recommended
This are great news.
I will try this.
Thanks for sharing.
HP Recommended

Hi guys.

I tried to assign a new "self-signed-certicate", but this don´t work....

The printers allready had the certificate configured in the future...

Still all 400 Series with "Device Communication Error"

It would be great if anyone has found a soloution for this.

Greetings.

HP Recommended

Hi guys,

We are having the same problem with around 150 printers in WJA. We are seeing Device Communication Error on the 200, 300 and 400 series.

I have tested the Certification fix as well as updating the firmware on several models without any luck.

WJA version 10.4 (SR 3).

Do you have some tips or a fix I can try?

Thank you.

Print Technician @ Intility AS
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.