Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Office Jet Pro 6968
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Just installed the printer;  get an error message when try to scan without using the document feeder.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings @maggie1753

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you have placed the documents on the document feeder in your printer and it is not recognizing it, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

May I know the method or the application you are using to scan?

Are you able to make a copy?

Please try the troubleshooting steps suggested in this HP Article and let me know how it goes. 

For other methods available for scanning, please refer to this HP Article

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I think you misunderstood my question.  When I place a photo directly on the glass panel and try to scan, I get an error message saying that the document feeder is empty.  I don't want to put photos in the document feeder.  I am using HP Easy Scan and a MacBook Air.  I can photocopy.

HP Recommended

And yes, I have tried the troubleshooting tips.  I just had to get rid of an HP printer because it kept displaying a message that there was a paper jam and there wasn't.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and providing more information. Have you selected the source as Document feeder or the scanner bed in the Easy Scan application?

If you are getting false paper jam messages, try the steps suggested in this HP Article

Connect the printer to your computer using a USB cable, download the firmware update from www.hp.com/drivers and install it on your printer. 

If the issue persists, please contact our phone support for the service options available. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I am travelling now but will try this when I get home, thanks.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, please try the suggested steps and let me know how it goes. Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.