Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

solution works fine if the menu under "printer" when you click "see whats printing"  has "use printer offline" choice to uncheck. What if there is no such option on that menu?

HP Recommended

Hello,

I'd like to help you with the printer going offline.

Try these steps to see if it will resolve the issue.

'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP Printer Will Not Print.

This document provides the download for the Print and Scan Doctor. It will diagnose the issue and might automatically resolve it. Checks the print queue, drivers and port assigned to the printer, determine if the printer is paused or offline with the steps to check this, clearing of the print queue, how to restart the Print Spooler and uninstall and reinstall the printer software.

If you have further issues, please provide the printer model, operating system and the type of connection for the printer you are using.

Have a fantastic day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
I am using a friends laptop, a Dell with windows 8 I believe. I know how to correct the "offline" issue but unfortunately I CANNOT FIND the appropriate box for "devices & printers" Please HELP!
HP Recommended

My printer is working fine, then it suddenly says it is offline.  How do I get it back?

HP Recommended

Hi @SLH8083,

The information for accessing the Devices and Printers is also listed in the document that was previously posted, in Solution two: Restart the computer and check the print queue, step 4.

'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP Printer Will Not Print.

If you need further assistance, please provide the printer model that you have and how it is connected.

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi Moo2,

I would be happy to help you with the printer being offline. But I will need some more information.

If you haven't already, please try the document in Message 55.

What operating system are you using? How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

What is the full name and product number of your printer? How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

How is the printer connected? (USB/Ethernet/Wireless)

If you need further assistance, please let me know what steps you have taken already and the results. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

My HP6520 always goes offline and I don't know what to do.

HP Recommended

Hi @GrandmaBee,

I see that you are having issues with the printer going offline. I will certainly do my best to help you.

If you are using a different operating system, let me know. How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

Please try the steps in this document to see if it will help resolve this issue.

HP Single-Function and Multifunction Printers - 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Compute...

What were the results when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor? (did it print or scan, any error messages)

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

What about for Windows 8? (please update!):smileysad:

HP Recommended

Hi @Valky16,

I see by your post that the printer keeps going offline and you are using Windows 8. I will certainly do my best to help you.

Please try the steps in this document to see if it will help resolve this issue.

HP Printers - 'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 8).

If the printer is networked, I would suggest to download the Microsoft hotfix from Step 2 in this document: HP Printers - Only Part of a Wireless Print Job or Page Prints (Windows 8). Please disregard the title.

Feel free to click the 'Thumbs up' button below if this helps.

If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.