Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@balou06 Hi,

I shared printer on XP PC long time ago. But I cant install win 7 laser jet 1100 driver. This is message that i get from offical HP download site:

You do not need to download drivers for this product. Print drivers for your product are available within the Windows 7 operating system. Use Devices and Printers, formerly known as the Add Printer Wizard, to obtain the Windows 7 update. For more information,  go to Install the Printer Driver through the Windows 7 Operating System (c02536257) (in English).

Problem is, when I want to manually choose Laser Jet 1100 MC driver, i do not have it in my list.. and when i try to "Windows update" for driver, after a minute, a get this message:

Windows was unable to get a list devices from Windows Upadate. Please try again later.

I am really planing to give up 😞

HP Recommended

IGNORE THIS POST, DON'T KNOW HOW TO DELETE IT

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

nesh_bros

I had posted the three previous messages with information about how to fix the problems of printer driver download failure in Windows Update.  If someone wants to see that info, here are the links, they seem to imply modifying some system log files:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-was-unable-to-get-a-list...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/f76f381a-ff93-42ac-bbc3-89d9e...

BUT THIS IS NOT NECESSARY - SEE BELOW

Just saw in a web page that you can download the driver manually from the Microsoft Update Catalog.  It must be used with Internet Explorer for it to work.  Here is a link with detailed instruction:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software/quot-Windows-was-unable-to-get-a-list-of-de...

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com, contained in the link above, leads to the catalog.  You need to use it with Internet Explorer for it to work.

There you will find a search window in the upper right hand corner, in which when you write HP LaserJet 1100 the drivers for the "HP LaserJet 1100 (MS) - Windows 7" will come up.

The first of these links (h30434...) contains detailed information about how to download the driver, if needed.

I believe you are going through all this because you have a 64 bit Windows 7 OS.  In that case you have to select the driver for AMD64 architecture (you see this when you clik on a driver in the list).  It should be the one at the top of the list (11.6 MB).

This method has the advantage that you don´t have to download a lot of other drivers that you don´t need - the last update of printer drivers I did took almost 4 minutes to download.  It can also be used to search for drivers for many other devices.

Remember that you must use Internet Explorer.  Good luck.

HP Recommended

Sadly it works only for 1100, but not for LJ1000...

Any other solution aside from creating Virtual PC?

HP Recommended

The Virtual PC solution was the only one I was able to find that worked, for Windows 7 - 64 bit.  I understand that for Windows 7 - 32 bit the solution is easier, but I don't know the details.

HP Recommended

Well this sucks... How come nobody came up with custom drivers? People on Macs managed to do this, I actually got it working on my Macbook Pro. But it's a huge pain in the ass having to whip out my laptop every time I need to print something... So is Virtual PC.

We'd all be greatful if somebody managed to create a custom drivers for LJ1000 for Windows 7 x64. 😞

HP Recommended

HP Laserjet 1000  WIndows 7

HP Recommended

Solution Found when using over network

This was done on a 64bit version of windows 7

Go to "Add a printer"

Select the printer in this case a laserjet 1000

window will pop up and say "No driver found"

Click OK

window pops up "Add Printer Wizard" with two columns

the left column says "Manufacturer" and the right one says "Printers"

In the "Manufacturer" column select "Generic"

Then in the "Printers" column select "MS Publisher Imagesetter"

Now click OK

On next window click Next

Then you can click on "Print a test page" to verify

Click Finish when you are done

That's it. I printed this page with no problems 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.