Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I opened the lid today to change the ink cartridge on my All-in-one Officejet J6480, and after installing a new one when I closed the lid  there was a loud crack and the right side hinge broke.  I did the same as I have done dozens of time - didn't force it or anything - but it seems like there's no way now to close the lid so it  will work.  Is there any way to repair this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The only thing you can really do here is 1st with the lid open make sure that there aren't any broken peices of the hinge keeping the lid from closing. 2nd even with a broken hinge the unit will still work if the cover open sensor is triggered. Try moving the lid around while closing to see if you can get the lid aligned enough to close all the way. Also you will find the cover open sensor in the back left while the cover is open, you'll notice a small plastic lever on the botoom of the cover that when closed triggers the cover open sensor.

Dave M.
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.
I am an HP employee.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The only thing you can really do here is 1st with the lid open make sure that there aren't any broken peices of the hinge keeping the lid from closing. 2nd even with a broken hinge the unit will still work if the cover open sensor is triggered. Try moving the lid around while closing to see if you can get the lid aligned enough to close all the way. Also you will find the cover open sensor in the back left while the cover is open, you'll notice a small plastic lever on the botoom of the cover that when closed triggers the cover open sensor.

Dave M.
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.
I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

We changed the ink cartridge.  As has been mentioned on forum, there was a loud click when trying to close.  It now appears that the hinge is either broken or just misaligned where it won't go back in.  When looking at the back of the printer, it is the hinge on the left.  It doesn't look like the right hinge.  It has three pieces (male) coming down from the top and two half moon openings (female) on the bottom.  However, the top pieces are butting up against the top of the half moon pieces and won't go down inside.  Nothing appears to be missing or broken.  It is very hard to explain this without a picture.  None of these top or bottom pieces of the hinge will more.

HP Recommended

Your suggestion of just taping over the sensor was terrific and solved printing on my Officejet 6210.  Sensor is inside lefthand front edge of cartridge bay.  Same story as other posts, hinge must have just popped out, nothing different done, and over time got worse and no amount of jiggling would get it to print.  From what I read lately of newer ones, I'm not in a big hurry to replace it since it does everything I need.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

70strong,

Just want to get a clearer picture...

Is/Was your broken hinge in the top back of cover of printer?  or where?    (I have the J6480)

And you say the Sensor is inside lefthand front edge of cartridge bay...    Are you saying the Sensor is in a completely different area than the hinge?  It sounds like two separate areas.  

From other posts, it sounded like sensor was close to the back hinge.  But then, I have a different printer from yours.

And a question for anyone--  where is the sensor on the J6480?

Many thanks!

HP Recommended

On the HP 6210 when you open the lid to the area where you change the inks, on the front left edge corner flat surface, there is a small sort of button that is up when the lid is open, and goes down when the lid is shut.  As long as you have done all the investigation of any broken parts of the hinges (at the back of the printer in my case), and the lid will shut mostly, then you can fool the printer into thinking the lid is completely shut by putting a piece or two of scotch tape on the button.  This of course holds it down so when you shut the lid, even though it doesn't really look quite closed, the printer will now work and you won't get the message that it is open so it won't print.  I've had to replace the tape once or twice over time, but the printer is still working for me.  I don't know where your lid-close button is on your printer, but you should be able to find it.  Since mine is near the front of the ink bay, I found it easily, but it could be anywhere.  Hope that helps. 

HP Recommended

The part # for the hinges is Q8052-40001.

Search the internet for the lowest cost on this part.

When you are ready to intall, Remove all ink cartridges first.

Open the cover.

Remove all screws on the plastic covering the print head mechanism, you will need a small star driver.

Remove the covers.

The small cover near the ribbon cables needs to stay with the ribbon cables.

Be very carefull not to damage the ribbon cables while replacing the hinges.

Check inside the hinges for screws holding them to the base unit.

Pull the top off with the hinges attached.

Remove the old hinges from the top. (If the hinges are intact and bent over, bend them over a little more and you will be able to fit a star driver down the tubular opening in the hinges.

I attached the new hings to the top using screws in the flanges that stick out, then bend the hinge a little more in the direction that they are bent already.  You will be able to fit the two other screws down the tubular holes in the hinges and insert a star driver into the tubes to start the screws.  Then I used a small sharpie behine the hinges on the flange side, I bent the hinges towards the front of the unit, and finished tightening the screws in the junction point of the hinges.

After the new hinges are attached to the top, insert the hinges in the base unit and replace all the screws that were removed previously.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.