Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus printer.

I had to replace a cyan color cartridge. After I did, an error message came up that "the cover or door must be closed to print."

The door is not open. I downloaded and ran the HP Hardware Diagnostics and it comes up with closing the door and putting the cartridges in. I have done both - several times.

Still the error.  This is NUTS!

This was a good printer until this nonsensical error.

I have seen ALOT of similiar complaints with HP printers with no real solutions??

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

MY PRINTER WORKS!!! 

After numerous attempts to solve the problem by changing the cartridges, I let it power up and let stand idle.   After about 5 minutes it cleared the fault and worked fine.  I am not using it for a business so this would not be an option for many.

THEN I tried a different method.  While the printer is "warming up", I clicked "Print" on one of my documents.  It started printing as soon as it finished warming up.  Now when I turn the printer on, it powers up correctly. 

HOPE THAT THIS PROCEDURE WORKS FOR ALL OF YOU.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

good_idea,

If the hardware diagnostic tool did not help with the issue and you have followed its direction the problem may require servicing. You can reach out to support --  at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl -- for servicing options.

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
HP Recommended

"Close Printer door or cover to print" error.  HP Officejet Pro 8600

Doesn't the fact, that there are so many HP printer users, hurt sales when they have problems that can only be solved  by buying another printer?  Surely there must be a knowledgeable person that can tell us just what is the problem with our printers so that we can make a judgement as to whether to spend more money repairing our 1 yr. old printer or to buy a new  printer?

HP Recommended

No.

HP support was of no help since the 8600 was just out of warranty.

The HP 8600 was simply a throw-away, over a simple cartridge replacement that I also wasted money on.

There are many HP 8600 "cover or door open" errors talked about by people and no one (not HP support) ever seems to resolve them.

HP Recommended

Restart the print spool service.  This solved the problem for me. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/89483-print-spooler-queue-clear-reset.html  (Use option 2. It's simple and no download necessary.)

HP Recommended

MY PRINTER WORKS!!! 

After numerous attempts to solve the problem by changing the cartridges, I let it power up and let stand idle.   After about 5 minutes it cleared the fault and worked fine.  I am not using it for a business so this would not be an option for many.

THEN I tried a different method.  While the printer is "warming up", I clicked "Print" on one of my documents.  It started printing as soon as it finished warming up.  Now when I turn the printer on, it powers up correctly. 

HOPE THAT THIS PROCEDURE WORKS FOR ALL OF YOU.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.