Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp 1217 printer
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

HP Smart Install on my HP 1217 printer seems to be corrupted and that disallows the printer from being connected to a computer (it installs it as a DVD drive). Is there a way to disable HP Smart Install without the printer being connected to a computer?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hey there @bobws3!

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

I understand that you would like to disable the HP Smart Install because it is adding the printer as a DVD driver.  I should be able to provide some suggestions that may resolve the issue.   The HP Smart Install can be disabled but must be done from another computer that the printer is already recognised from.  

If you have your LaserJet M1217nfw installed on another computer, then you can use the HP Smart Install utility to disable or enable HP Smart Install. The utility is stored on the software CD, in the UTIL folder.  When you install the software CD go to "My Computer" right click on the HP Software CD and click "OPEN" and select the UTIL folder.  In the UTIL folder you can select SIUtility64.exe.  Open the Utility, click that you want to disable Smart Install on the Printer (not PC). Once the Smart install has been disabled, you can install the printer on the other computer.

Thanks again for posting on the HP Forums!

Enjoy your day! 🙂

Cbert
I work on behalf of HP.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I attempted this fix for my LserJet M1212 nf and it did not work. The smartinstall feature was disabled, but the laptop continues to see the printer as a DVD drive. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.