Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer.  My document is stuck in print queue and won't let me delete it.  Nothing else can print.  This seems to happen on a regullar basis.  It happens on email, on word documents, etc.  I would like to get document out of queue so other documents can print and also stop the problem from happening.  thanks.

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hello-

Try these steps :

1. First Stop the  Print Spooler. If you attempt to copy or delete any items in that folder while the Print Spooler is started, you will get an error stating that the items are in use.

If you need help stopping the spooler just tell me your Operating System.

1. Go to C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS. Usually when you get to the PRINTERS folder you will get a pop up message stating that you need administrator permission to enter the folder, and all you need to do is press Continue.
  2. There will be two items in the folder for every item in the print queue.
  3. If you are wanting to manually delete the print queue instead, you can just delete the items at that time.
Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.
Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.
I appreciate your input !
Thank You,
Donald
HP Recommended

my OS is windows 7; how do I stop print spooler?  there are several documents in error in print queue again.  What keeps causing this to happen?  some are word, some email and some print of online chat/

HP Recommended

Hi laruesj, I see you are having issues with the print queue and not being able to delete the print jobs with your Officejet 8600 Pro. I recommend you try this document I will insert a link to below. Please follow all of the steps required and respond to let me know if this helped you.

Good luck and take care.

Print Jobs are Stuck in the Print Queue

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I printed this off; I can't try it until something is stuck (probably won't take long; it happens pretty regularly).  thanks.

HP Recommended

I have downloaded the HP Print & Scan Doctor 4.1 to help fix the stuck document printing. I get an error saying HP Print & Scan Doctor 4.1 has stopped working.

It never goes anywhere from here. Windows does not come up with solutions. Any suggestions how to get this stuck printing to clear? The computer that requested the print job has Windows 7.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

knock on wood, but this problem hasn't happened since I received the solution so I don't know if it works.

HP Recommended

Hi mnmom,

I am sorry to hear you are getting an error message when you run the Print and Scan Doctor. I would like to help.

I would recommend restarting your computer and check to see if the print job is deleted. (Restarting your computer should delete the job).

After your computer is restarted, then attempt to run the Print and Scan Doctor again.

If you are still having issues, please click on the link I posted above to troubleshoot further and if you have any other inquires, please feel free to reply and I will always do my best to help!

Good luck!

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have a HP Pro8600 and have document stuck in the wireless network - can not delete.   It says "deleting - printing" and only way I can print is to bring it up and plug in with usb port.     How do I delete this messaage?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I tried your method mentioned below on your previous advice but it still will not delete the document from the print spool, it states:  "The action can't be completed because the file is open in Print Spooler."

Please advise what methods I can do to fix this problem.

Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.