Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

portrait covered with wide black, white,grey wide lines with very faint text of what I'm trying to copy

HP Recommended

hi everyone im having the same problem ! can you tell me how to clean a HP lares jet pro400 mfp m 425 it happens only when i print from the paper feeder HELP! which parts needs to be cleaned and what do i have to look for ?

many thanks

HP Recommended

The paper feeder uses a little window at the end of the big glass area to scan.  It scans by moving the paper past the window rather than moving a scanner past the stationary paper when the glass is used.  A dot of dirt on the little window shows up as a line on the copy or scanned document because the dot shows up at every point on the copy and the zillion dots merge into a line.  Clean the little window and you are in business.  If my description is confusing, clean everything made of glass and you'll get it by default.

HP Recommended

When scanning a document a dark black line goes from the top of the document, with several more lighter lines to the right of the thick one.  No problem with printing, just with scanning

HP Recommended
Thank you. I didn't know about the glass under and now it is all clear.
HP Recommended

I have this exact problem.  The only time there is a black lin that I havent been able to fix is when I use the scanner.  Im a billing manager so I cant have this happening but cleaning it hasnt helped.  I know it happens when I scan things because I scan something and without printing it I email it and they still have the lines

HP Recommended

Re: Black lines when scanning  on both feeders.  I did everything the techs suggested (cleaning) that seem to make it worse, then had black lines everywhere on pages, not just down the middle.  Tried unplugging, that didn't do it.  

Finally saw to try static removal by unplugging for 15 mins.  I unplugged for approx. 3 hours and now it's fine, no lines anywhere.  I had been working for hours on it prior to seeing this suggestion from HP.  Thank you. . .Judy Corea

@sjones6874 wrote:

I cleaned it really well with distilled water and a microfiber rag so it wouldn't pick up lint.  It didn't work.  I finally got desperate and cleaned it with alcohol.  Low and behold I found an almost invisible speck--IT WORKED!

Thank you very much for the help!  This solved a problem I have been working on for days in about 10 minutes!

@sjones6874 wrote:

I cleaned it really well with distilled water and a microfiber rag so it wouldn't pick up lint.  It didn't work.  I finally got desperate and cleaned it with alcohol.  Low and behold I found an almost invisible speck--IT WORKED!

Thank you very much for the help!  This solved a problem I have been working on for days in about 10 minutes!

@sjones6874 wrote:

HP Recommended

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I never would have found that second piece of glass!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911a

Mine got screwed up after I cancelled a copy by hitting the red X... black lines were on everything scanned after... so here is what I did to fix it.

Failed: Cleaning the glass
Failed: Resetting the printer to factory defaults

SUCCESS: Updated the printers FIRMWARE (Took about 10-15 minutes)
- As of this writing there was a new firmware posted for the Apr 18, 2016 for the HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911a.

Hopefully this link works for you:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Officejet-Pro-8600-e-All-in-One-Printer-series---...

If not Google this: 8600 N911a firmware

Yeah! No more black lines from nowhere!

FYI - This printer was one of the worst I've ever owned - but I've gotten around all the issues.

HP Recommended

I just started getting a horizon line on my printed page. it only occurs when the original document goes through the feeder. I've cleaned all the glass that the suggested solutions.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.