Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
7740 all-in-one
Microsoft Windows XP

p

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @ro24,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! 🙂 Good Day! 🙂 Hope you are doing well. 🙂 I reviewed the post about assistance regarding how to print on 11x17 paper using inkjet 7740.  It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you here.  🙂

You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. 🙂 I have reviewed the situation and it is paramount that we address your issue. Thank you for giving us the privilege to assist you on this platform. 🙂  Stupendous diagnosis and troubleshooting were done before posting your query. 🙂 Kudos to you on that score. 🙂

First off, the unit specs page suggest that it supports “11x17 paper” printing.

Steps for printing: http://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-7740-wide-format-all-in-one-printer-series/7682...

Please check the paper handling option from the specifications link.

Then visit these links on how to do it.

Link 1 HP Printers - Creating Custom Paper Sizes: http://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-7740-wide-format-all-in-one-printer-series/7682...

Link 2 HP Printers - Change Print Settings (Windows 😎 (it is relevant for windows XP also): http://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-7740-wide-format-all-in-one-printer-series/7682...

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

Happy holidays to you and your family. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've been trying to print 11x17 sheets on my HP 7740, using the second tray for some time.  The way I made it work was to first set the second tray to default (with 11x17 paper) on the HP app on my IPad, then I was able to go to apps like ibooks where my documents/ construction plans are located, select print, paper size and it worked! The only draw back is I have go back into the HP app to reverse the default tray back to one.  I cannot select the second tray in iBooks, it always defaults to the first tray or I get a print error if I selected a paper size not supported by tray 1. If you know another way I'm all ears.

HP Recommended

@SgmLowe

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I Understand you need information on how to print using the 2nd tray instead of the 1st without the need of changing it each time,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you change the printer preferences under devices and printers to select default tray?

If you haven't, here's what you need to do:

1.Open Printers and Faxes 

2.Right-click the printer for which you want to set the default printing preferences, and then click Properties.

3.On the Advanced tab, click Printing Defaults.

4.Click the Layout and Paper/Quality tabs and the Advanced button to see the available choices, and specify the new default tray settings.

5.Once the default tray is selected, no matter which application you use it will always print from the second tray as is your preference.

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Is there a way for the 7740 to automatically select Tray 1 (8.5x11) or Tray 2 (11x17) without manually changing the paper in Tray 1, or by using the printer's menu to manually reset the default tray and/or paper size each time I print to a different paper size? 

So far the printer will not print from Tray 2 at all and returns this error:

The paper size detected by the printer sensor does not match the paper size selected in software. If the paper loaded in the printer is the correct size, change the selected paper size in your software and re-send the print job. If the paper loaded in the printer is not the correct size, change paper and resend the print job.

I am currently printing from Adobe Acrobat on a Mac PowerBook OSX 10.11.6.

Very disappointed about this apparent lack of automatic tray selection.

HP Recommended

Hi @littlehill_sf,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP community. Good day.:) I understand that you require assistance with the printer tray selection. It will be a delight to assist you with this.

Terrific description and great diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 You are a valued HP customer and I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this.

• Did you check the printer’s user guide?
  • Did you check if the paper type and paper size are supported by Tray 2 in the printer specifications?
  • Did you try printing from multiple apps?
  • Did you uninstall the Adobe software, reinstall it and try again?

These printers are designed in such a way that it is left to the user to select the paper tray that he or she wants to print from. It is not an automatic selection. When tray 1 becomes empty, then tray 2 kicks in and the printer senses the paper in Tray 2 and starts printing from that tray.

If your tray is not sensing the paper placed in Tray 2 then the paper sensors that detect tray 2 could be faulty on the printer.

For a start please be informed that Tray 2 supports only plain paper.

Product specifications link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-7740-wide-format-all-in-one-printer-series/768...

• Please check these options:
  • Paper handling
  • Paper handling – duplexer
  • Paper handling – ADF
  • Physical dimensions.

Remember the ADF and duplexer are designed to support only certain types of paper. So if you are printing from the Duplexer or ADF, it may not support heavier paper from tray 2.

For further assistance please look up the printer user guide on how to use the trays from this link: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05216524 Then visit pages 13 to 25 for more information regarding this.

NOTE: For a better experience, load only one type of paper in a tray.

NOTE: Tray 2 supports only plain paper.

Please keep me posted. I will keep a watch for your reply.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So am I understanding you reply correctly?

This printer is only designed with the second tray as a backup in case you exhaust the paper supply in tray 1? :smileyindifferent

My printer has been set up as reccomended. :TongueOut: The printer is set up to use plain paper in both trays.  Tray one is the default tray and is set up to use letter size plain paper.  Tray 2 is set up to use tabloid size paper. :generic: On my device, the printer settings are also the same.  Tray 1 is set up as plain letter and tray 2 is setup as plan tabloid.

What doesn't make sense, is that on my device it requires I select a paper size for the autoselect option.  Shouldn't the "autoselect" option automatically select whatever paper the application I am using dictates? If you have to manually select the paper tray, they shouldn't even have a setting called autoselect.  It could be called manual select :LaughingTears:

HP Recommended

Hi @Bnewish,

I reviewed the post completely. Great effort and superb troubleshooting. Kudos to you for that. You've tried all the required steps. It is possible then that paper pick sensors of one of the trays could be faulty. That is why the auto select option may not be working. I request you to please contact HP phone support to get the printer replaced or upgraded.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

Trust me I've done everything here to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. 🙂 You've  been absolutely superb to work with, by displaying great technical skills. 🙂 I thank you again for your time. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OMG! 

I think I just took 10 years off my life today with this ridiculous issue!

Was 10 seconds away from packing the thing up and taking it back to where it came from.

I tried everything posted on this thread and had no luck, just like everyone else.  These HP guys should really take one of these things home over the weekend and try setting one up to really see what  PITA this really is. 

To try and keep things short and simple - Lets get to the point.. 

I'm pretty sure the issues that we're all having are a product of the fact that this is "smart wireless printer" and it seems there are so many drivers and APPs communicating with the **bleep** thing, that the printer doesn't know which driver, computer, APP or crazy person to listen to. 

HERE IS HOW YOU CAN FIX THIS **bleep** PRINTER AND MAKE IT PROPERLY AUTO SELECT TRAY and PAPER SIZE:

I'd recommend doing this:

1. Set the default tray management sizes as you'd like on the printer touch screen (I've got "8.5x11 Letter" in Tray 1 and "11x17 Tabloid" in Tray 2).

2. Then go to your Windows Control Panel -> View Devices and Printers -> Right click on HP OfficeJet 7740 -> Select Printer Properties -> Select Device Settings -> Now match these Tray settings to the settings you've setup on your Printer Touchscreen  (I've got "8.5x11 Letter" in Tray 1 and "11x17 Tabloid" in Tray 2).

3. HERE IS THE KEY - WHICH NO ONE HAS FIGURED OUT YET FOR SOME REASON!!  Go to the HP Printing APP that you installed on your phone or tablet when you setup your printer... In my case, the APP is called "HP Smart"... This is where it seems the real MASTER SETTINGS are being controlled for the printer.... Open your APP and Click on [Printer Settings] -> Then Click on [Advanced Settings]-> you should be re-routed to a webpage...where you will click on [Settings +] again -> noe Click [Preferences] -> [Paper Tray Management]-> you should be re-routed to another webpage...where you need to confirm your "Tray and Paper Management - Paper Settings" are consistent with what you've selected on your Windows System Control Panel and Printer Touchscreen - Once you've confirmed its all correct, scroll down -> Under "Default Tray", I selected "Tray 2" (only because I plan to print mostly 11x17, should matter if you select Tray 1 or 1, becuase we're going to make this thing Auto-Select Trays based on what we send to print)... Scroll Further down and under "Tray Lock", select "None" -> Scroll further down to "General Tray Settings" (THIS IS WHERE THE MAGIC HAPPENS)

1. Size/Type Prompt -> Select "Display"

2. Use Requested Tray -> Select "First"

3. Override A4/Letter -> Select "NO!" 

4. SELECT "Apply"

5. Relax, Breathe, Open a Beer and then GET BACK TO WORK!

Cheers

HP Recommended
Hello, I recently purchased an HP 11x17 7740 printer. It works beautifully but I am curious if I am able to print on heavier paper. Specifically I want to print on canson or watercolor paper, but they are much heavier than standard printing paper. I'm curious as to what's the heaviest paper that will feed through the main paper tray?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.