Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hp officejet 4500 g510n-z prints ok but won't scan

Windows Vista 32bit one machine

Windows 7 4 machines

Windows XP 2 machines

running on wireless have not tried usb

no IP conflicts

was working last time I used it (month ago)

printer works fine (though I have to cycle power now and then after sleep mode)

latest drivers installed

Ideas anyone?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi sdrrmit,

It sounds like the printer didn't get installed correctly in your Windows operating system. Follow the steps below.

Step one: Clear temp directory

1. On the Apps desktop right click the mouse, and select all apps. Type %temp% in the run app.
  2. Highlight all the files in this folder, and then press the delete key to delete. If you get a message that the file is in use you will need to skip this file(s).
  3. Continue with Step 2 below

Step two: Downloaded and extracted to your system:

1. Download the full feature software and drivers

Full solution software

2. Once the download is finished double click on the file to extract the software.

3. When the installation window opens press the cancel button to stop the installation

4. On the Apps desktop right click the mouse, and select all apps. Type %temp% in the run app.

5. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

6. Right click on the folder, and select Copy

7. Close that window, and all your open windows, and then in the middle of the desktop right click your mouse, and select Paste. This will move the 7z folder to your desktop.

8. Open the 7z folder you just copied to your desktop

9. Open folder Util

10. Open folder CCC

11. Run the uninstall_L4

12. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

13. Run Disk cleanup by holding down the Windows button and R at the same time to pull up the Run prompt and type cleanmgr.exe and press enter.  Select all the boxes and delete everything. Click on the link below regarding this tool and any disclaimers.

Cleanmgr Disclaimer

14. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

Update Adobe Flash Player

15. Open the 7z folder, and then double click on the Setup.exe file which will be toward the bottom of the open window. Follow the on screen instructions to reinstall your printer.

Let me know if you are able to successfully install the software and driver, and are able to print & scan?

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hi Tamtheram,

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Ooops should have read more...

Wired network with a TP-Link TL-WR642 wirless +4 wired port router connected to Speedstream broadband modem via a

Linksys Voip switch

The computer I'm trying to use 1 of 6 is connected via a Linksys 4 port network priner share switch PSUS4 which is use as a switch only. I am running WPA-PSK on the wirless side.

I have computers with various IPs from 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.150 (the printer)

The computer is an Acer small foot print athelon based with 3 meg of ram.

I am running Windows Vista Bussiness 32 bit I don't know for sure which revision I can't see where to look for that

• I can browse the printer from explorer
  • I am running Panda internet security
  • I can print but can not scan
HP Recommended

Hi Tamtheram,

Thank you for the additional information. I still would like you to run the scan diagnostic utility to see why you can't scan.

Can you scan using MSpaint?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hello I also have been having problems scanning with my HP4500.  It shows scan in color only and won't scan when chosen.  Worked one time when I first got it then had issues with it ever since.  I think I did a driver upgrade at one point and got it to work a second time, but that was the only two times it has worked. The link that was posted  as a aid to fix does not work any more http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=oj-96506-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

Thanks For The Help,

Bill

HP Recommended

Hi RESSL27,

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my hp officejet 4500 g510n-z that I installed online. In my PC (Acer Travelmate) I have installed Windows 8 and downloaded and installed from the hp site the driver OJ_AIO_4500_G510n-z_Full_Win_WW_140_408.

I can print online, even if the printer goes frequently offline, but I can't scan either using Cute PDF Pro or MSPaint.

Running HP Print and Scan Doctor no error is returned.

In anhoter partition of my PC I have Installed Linux Ubuntu 12.04 and I can either print or scan online without problems.

Any suggestion. Thanks. Regards. sdrrmit

HP Recommended

Hi sdrrmit,

It sounds like the printer didn't get installed correctly in your Windows operating system. Follow the steps below.

Step one: Clear temp directory

1. On the Apps desktop right click the mouse, and select all apps. Type %temp% in the run app.
  2. Highlight all the files in this folder, and then press the delete key to delete. If you get a message that the file is in use you will need to skip this file(s).
  3. Continue with Step 2 below

Step two: Downloaded and extracted to your system:

1. Download the full feature software and drivers

Full solution software

2. Once the download is finished double click on the file to extract the software.

3. When the installation window opens press the cancel button to stop the installation

4. On the Apps desktop right click the mouse, and select all apps. Type %temp% in the run app.

5. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

6. Right click on the folder, and select Copy

7. Close that window, and all your open windows, and then in the middle of the desktop right click your mouse, and select Paste. This will move the 7z folder to your desktop.

8. Open the 7z folder you just copied to your desktop

9. Open folder Util

10. Open folder CCC

11. Run the uninstall_L4

12. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

13. Run Disk cleanup by holding down the Windows button and R at the same time to pull up the Run prompt and type cleanmgr.exe and press enter.  Select all the boxes and delete everything. Click on the link below regarding this tool and any disclaimers.

Cleanmgr Disclaimer

14. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

Update Adobe Flash Player

15. Open the 7z folder, and then double click on the Setup.exe file which will be toward the bottom of the open window. Follow the on screen instructions to reinstall your printer.

Let me know if you are able to successfully install the software and driver, and are able to print & scan?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
Following your suggestions I can now print and scan easily. So I gratefully Accept as Solution your answer. Thanks again. sdrrmit
HP Recommended

Hi sdrrmit,

Glad to hear that resolved your issues. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.