Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 6180 All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This 6180 printer uses 02 ink cartridges and I have just received an "ink system failure" message and the error code shown is 0xc18a0201. I recently put several but not all new ink cartridges in the printer and it printed just fine for about 3-4 weeks. However when I opened the printer now after this error message appeared, the only thing I could find was a large amount of ink lying on the metal bed of the printer under the ink cartridge access door, behind the row of ink cartridges. I took out all the cartridges and the far right-hand cartridge appeared to have leaked. I found a couple of drops of ink on the back of this cartridge itself and all of the other cartridges I took out were completely dry on the back. I mopped up the ink from the metal bed as best I could and then reinstalled all of the cartridges to see if the printer worked but the same error message came back up. I then went to HP's website and followed the troubleshooting procedures all the way to the end but nothing worked either. Just before receiving the "ink system failure" message I did receive another error message which was on the screen only very briefly. I wasn't able to write it down word for word, but it was to the effect that the printer carriage had jammed or been damaged. I have checked the printer for any paper jams but there are none.  The HP booklet for this printer says I have to contact HP Support if the print head assembly is stalled or blocked but this very old printer is no longer supported or serviced by HP.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give concerning this problem. I know one option is simply to buy a new printer, etc., but I really would like to try to solve this problem with our current printer before getting a new one. Thanks to all in advance for any thoughts or suggestions anyone may have.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

For the ink system failure I would start by replacing the leaking cartridge, the try the procedure in the document here.  If that does not resolve the issue the reset as shown in the web page here may help.  Finally, if the above do not resolve the issue then see the post here.

A carriage jam message may be due to a physical jam, due to a blockage from a paper jam or other obstruction, or it may be caused by aerosol buildup on the sensor the printer uses to detect the carriage position.  You might try cleaning the encoder strip as shown in the post here.  The encoder strip is fragile, please read and heed the warnings.  Only use water to clean the strip, not alcohol or any other solvents as the fine lines printed on the strip are needed for proper operation of the printer.  Be gentle!

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.