Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

*HP LASERJET 100 m175nw

*Windows XP

*an install operation took too long to execute. this is a fatal error preventing product use.

*No changes made, product is being install for the first time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi JMMT23,

Are you using the smart install option by plugging in the USB cable to initiate the install or CD?

Install the software with HP Smart Install

1. Press the Power button ( ) or switch to turn off the product, if it is not off already.
  2. Disconnect the USB cable from both the product and the computer, if you already connected it.
  3. Press the Power button or switch to turn on the product.
  4. Reconnect the USB cable to the product and to the computer.
    The HP Smart Install program should start automatically. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
    If the HP Smart Install program does not start automatically, AutoPlay might be disabled on the computer. Follow these steps to start the installation:
    Click the Windows icon ( ), click My Computer , double-click the HP Smart Install CD icon, and then double-click the SISetup.EXE file.
  5. If the program prompts you to select a connection type, select the USB cable option.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish installing the software.

Follow the steps in the document at the link.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02251801

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Hi JMMT23,

Are you using the smart install option by plugging in the USB cable to initiate the install or CD?

Install the software with HP Smart Install

1. Press the Power button ( ) or switch to turn off the product, if it is not off already.
  2. Disconnect the USB cable from both the product and the computer, if you already connected it.
  3. Press the Power button or switch to turn on the product.
  4. Reconnect the USB cable to the product and to the computer.
    The HP Smart Install program should start automatically. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
    If the HP Smart Install program does not start automatically, AutoPlay might be disabled on the computer. Follow these steps to start the installation:
    Click the Windows icon ( ), click My Computer , double-click the HP Smart Install CD icon, and then double-click the SISetup.EXE file.
  5. If the program prompts you to select a connection type, select the USB cable option.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish installing the software.

Follow the steps in the document at the link.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02251801

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
Thanks pcwizard,

I was using the cd setup, but when I tried the smart installed it worked with the usb cable. Now I just need to setup the wireless one.

Thanks again
HP Recommended

Hi JMMT23,

You can also use the smart install to set the printer up wirelessly. When you get to the connection type screen just chose network. The network information will be transferred to the printer and it will then ask you to remove the USB cable. Let me know if you need any additional assistance.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

RE: INSTLL OPERATION TOOK TOO LONG TO EXECUTE LASERJET PRO 400 COLOR M451ds SOLUTION

Config when error occurred:

Config: Windows 7 64 bit

USB cable

Local Machine

Level 2 Support Solution

delayed connectoin of USB printer cable connection till told to plug it in

Went to 99% install, and failed with RED X.

SOLUTION as per Level 2 Support

1. On printer disable on view window, smart install (Press side of OK button)

2. Update driver on Device manager under printers

3. on device Manager Human INTERFACE DEVICESright click drivers Update

4. On printers Choices: HP LJ 300 LJ400 Color M351 MJ451 PcL 6

5. Update driver software

6. browse my computer for Driver software

7. Next:  HP Universal printer Driver\Ps-x64=5.4.0.11744

8. Message:  Best Driver for devices is installed HP LJ 300 -400  M351-M451 PCL6

9. Close

10. Start Printer

11. Set as default

12 Printer Properties

13. Ready

15. Print test page.

HP Recommended

Same problem with Win 7 OS.  .  I've tried this solution recommended by HP but the problem persists.  Tried the CD and the Software on HP website.  Tried to install on 2nd device with Win 7 also took too long.  The IT dept at work tried same problem.  Tried installing in device with Win XP and no problme.  The underlying factor is Win 7.  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

The solution proposed does not work ... This appears to be a problem in Win 7

HP Recommended

Hi duemeland,

This is a commercial line product. For the best answer to your questions you will need to repost your question to the following links. 

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Support-Forums/ct-p/business-support 

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/bd-p/bsc-413 

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi afimbres,

What is the printer model you are attempting to install?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

HP M475dn

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.