Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP laserprinter
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I have read various posts about high iron oxide toner content in laser printers. All the posts are old now dating back to 2013 or older. It is 2017 now and I need a laser printer for printing decals to use on kiln fired vitreous items. I want to see if anyone can help me with current models in 2017 that will suit my needs. I prefer 1200 x 1200 dpi if possible. I hope someone out there can help. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I’ve use replacement toner cartridges from Monoprice (midrange price) for my HP 1320n to create laser decals for firing onto porcelain. There is sufficient iron oxide to obtain a nice sepia decal when printed on appropriate gel/transfer sheet. [Tranfer to vitreous object works best by floating decal in very warm water and positioning with 00 brushes.]

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Check to see if MICR Toner is available for any model you are considering, MICR Toner is used to print magnetic numbers on checks.

When using MICR Toner you may have to change the Fuser Mode so the Toner will stick to the paper, sometimes simply telling the printer the paper is heavier than it actually is works.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply....what is MICR tonner? Also where do I look for it? 

I know of many people that just use standard, inexpensive HP printers without any modifications....but they are older printers. I need to buy one asap. I was provided with a list of printers that will work but it is from 2013...those models are no longer available. 

Can anyone help me? I am looking at the HP LaserJet Pro M402 Series. Is there a way to find out if there is at least 35% iron oxide in the toner cartrige that comes with the machine? I need between 35-60% iron oxide.

I hope someone can help me. 

HP Recommended
I’ve use replacement toner cartridges from Monoprice (midrange price) for my HP 1320n to create laser decals for firing onto porcelain. There is sufficient iron oxide to obtain a nice sepia decal when printed on appropriate gel/transfer sheet. [Tranfer to vitreous object works best by floating decal in very warm water and positioning with 00 brushes.]
HP Recommended
The issue is not the printer itself, but the toner cartridge
HP Recommended

Thanks for your replies. I already know this but some printers these days do not have any iron oxide in the their toner. some now only use polymer dyes. I have a Brother that does not use any iron oxide and cannot use it for this purpose or theres requiring the oxides. I just wanted to make sure I was purchasing something to suit this purpose....I already own 3 printers for various other uses. 

HP Recommended

So best to try a monoprice refurbished cartridge for your existing printer...print on gel transfer sheet and try to fire.

HP Recommended

I will look into that. It is a less expensive option. Here in Australia the printer model numbers are different too so searching for things available in the USA is not the same as searching here. All the best and thanks again.

HP Recommended
MICR toner is what is used for printing checks, the numbers on the bottoms of the check have to be readable by a magnetic reader hence they need to have a high iron content.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

HP Recommended
I did a quick Google search and what I'm seeing is MICR toner has 50 to 60% iron content.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.