Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Yes please post a video. Mine just went out and its the drop down rollers for sure. The left one seems to work a bit but the right one not al all

I really like the printer and dont want to have to shell out more dough for a new one.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Here it is. Sorry it's not very professional video but it will give you idea of which gear it is. It might be good idea to have a small mirror and real bright flash light handy when you inspect it. Once you find the gear, just move it back to it's correct place and probably use some super glue etc to create a stopper for it so it doesn't slide back out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksliY2NS_BE&feature=youtu.be

HP Recommended

Perfect thanks so much I will give it a try tommorw!

HP Recommended

Same issue. Glad this thread was here and still updated.

I took some pics that should be very helpful in seeing exactly where this is and what the problem is

http://imgur.com/a/ChiSA#0

Feel free to use or share this album to help others.

HP Recommended

Same problem encountered as reported. I tried to prevent the gear wheel sliding off by securing it with a dip of silicone caulk, applied with a toothpick just to find out, the gear wheel stayed in place but the axle had already wore out the gear - that being the reason why it slid off in the first place.

My next approach was, holding a soldering iron on to the axle right next to the plastic grear wheel - using a dental mirror to verify placement of the soldering tip - held and warmed the axle for about three minutes and then gave it ample time to cool down. The idea is to liquify the plastic gear on the axle and llet it sag into the axle gear slits but not so much that the plastic gear might deform. Plastic is a pretty good insulator and so there is a reasonable time window to accomplish that. So far, the pick up roller has resumed to function and the printer works.

HP Recommended

Same problem for me too, but with fat fingers, not much patience and no inspection mirror at hand I decided to get out my dremel and make me a nice access panel on the bottom of the machine. It actually went surprisingly well... Here are the pics:

http://postimg.org/image/ktgru4pkf/

http://postimg.org/image/wlne1vmn9/

http://postimg.org/image/eutek52g1/

So having cut a hole in the bottom life became a helluva lot easier - it gave me relatively easy access to all the gears and rollers and it appears to have done no harm whatsoever to the printer's ability to function.

Taking a look inside i could see that the first gear, the one on the metal axle had slipped along the shaft and was disconnected from the gear system. I moved it back into place, fired up the printer and it was fine for a couple of pages then stopped picking up paper and the no paper warning message appeared again. Took another look inside and saw that this gear wheel had shifted again, so got a magnifying glass and was then able to see that there was a crack running along one of the valleys in between 2 teeth on the gear wheel. I put the gear wheel back in place, put a drop of superglue into the cracked valley and then used a bulldog clip to pull the 2 teeth either side of the crack together until the glue dried. Once dry i taped a small piece of sandpaper onto the end of a screwdriver and sanded down any roughness around where I had applied the glue.

I tried using my fingers to rotate that first gear and the shaft it's attached to and at first all the other gears and rollers would turn as they should but then intermittently it would jam, for no apparent reason. After playing around with all the gears in that assembly I eventually got the feeling that the jamming was being caused by the metal shaft and whatever it was attached to - to find out exactly would've required making a new access panel I think, but I'm guessing a motor at one end some kind of bracket at the other.

I fired up the printer again to see if running it would loosen the jam and the same happened again - it printed a couple of pages then stopped picking up paper and the warning message appeared.

Flipped the printer upside down again and the first gear wheel was still in place and the glue appeared to have held, so I played around with the gears for a while (which were still intermittently jamming) and as I contemplated how to get access to the ends of the metal shaft, at some point something I did caused the pickup roller mechanism to pop out of it's resting place to the position it would be in when it was picking up paper from the loading tray. After this happened the metal shaft and all the gears rotated freely with no jams, so I flipped the printer back over again, fired it up and it's been working perfectly ever since.

Ultimately I can't offer a great deal of advice because I don't know exactly what I did that fixed the problem, but I can confirm that cutting a hole in the bottom does no harm and is definitely the way forward... Good luck!

HP Recommended

I spent hours taking the 6500 apart the conventional way and could never get to the damaged gear drive wheel.   Your idea is AWESOME !! .......  Duh !!!  that is so blatantly obvious and thank you so much for the advice.   Even if I don't fix it, your idea is still fantastic.   I don’t know how you will be able to get all of those out there with the same problem to see your solution because there are so many different forums on this subject with each one of the worded a little differently.  When I get the chance to work on the problem again I will do the same thing you suggested except that I will use some marine epoxy which is more permanent than super glue.   This gear wheel obviously has a lot of stress on it several people that have "super glued" it stated that it did not last.     You are a genius!!!   Thanks LAChase

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip about marine epoxy. If the superglue doesn't hold I'll start trying to track that stuff down, although with an access panel I could afford to be kinda liberal with the superglue whereas in other posts I've read where the superglue failed the posters were using mirrors and stuff in uber-awkward positions so they were being understandably conservative with the amount of superglue they applied. They also didn't have the benefit of a bulldog clip keeping it all tight while the glue dried, so we'll see what happens.

I hate throwing stuff like this away unless I really have to, so taking the dremel to it was always gonna be a win-win... either I fixed it or I screwed it up so bad I really had to throw it away.

Gotta say that the manufacturer has really gone down in my estimation with what I have learned from my experience with this printer. They would know what parts are most likely to break on these things and they've done their best to make those parts as inaccessible as possible, and if the inaccessibility doesn't put you off trying to repair the thing then maybe the fact that you can't get the spare parts that you're probably gonna need will do the trick. They've done a pretty good job of making this printer disposable, and something of this size and of this complexity should never be disposable for a whole bunch of reasons. Maybe this was their attempt at taking the razor/razorblade business model to the next level...

Incidentally, if you do get the printer working again it's really easy to refill the ink cartridges on these things...

Good luck with it!

HP Recommended

I cut the hole for easy access to the gear, but after glueing it the gear cracked in 1/2 breaking off again.

I really don't want to give up on this as it's just a paper feed pickup as the only issue.

I was thinking I could sorce a similar gear, or possibly a rubber wheel in it's place to work against the pickup gear.

HP Recommended

Here is a great idea! If you can find a friend with 3D printer. Print a few and see one fits exactly.:smileysurprised:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.