Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have spent hours on chats and the phone with hp tech guys with no luck.  I have tried installing the printer using the included disk.  My computer uses Windows 7.  At the same point each time the install hangs up.  It happens right after I am requested to plug in the USB cable.  So, the computer never supplies the network information to the printer.  So, the printer doesn't have the key to provide to the router.  I checked the information at HP and it said the problem was an error due to Adobe Flash and if I just moved the screen over I could say ok to the error and proceed.  I tried that but there was no error window to say ok to.  How do I connect this thing?
49 REPLIES 49
HP Recommended

Do you know that the disk contains a Win 7 driver.  It would surprise me if it does.  You may be trying to install a Vista driver.

Uninstall the HP software using the uninstaller, then re-install from here

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended
I have already done exactly what you recommend with exactly the same result.  I can find no way to communicate either the SSID or the secure key to the printer.  So, the printer is unable to connect to the wireless network.
HP Recommended

OK, let's take a totally different path.

What brand/model router do you use?  Do you know if it has a WPS feature (button)?  If so we will use that.  If not, we will start plan C. 

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended
It is a dlink dir-615 router.  I think it uses WPA.
HP Recommended

OK, if you have the DIR-615 rev B or rev C (look on the serial number label) your router has WPS (Wifi Protected Setup).  So does your printer!

Click on the "Product Manual" link here and look at page 47 (this is your router's manual).  For the printer portion, look at page 5 here.

Your printer will be added to your network automatically via this process.  Since it appears that your software is installed, we will next add the printer to the computer manually.

Get the WPS done first and then we will go to the next step. 

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended
Printdoc, thanks, I was able to connect the printer to the network.  Once you pointed me to the page in the manual it was easy.  I was so happy I tried running the setup again.  It still hangs up.  Can you offer more help?  How can I get the computer to recognize the printer without the supplied software?
HP Recommended

OK, yeah, that is phase 2.  The software is either installed or you can check the box that says install software even though it is not shown (or something).  Make sure to disable your entire security system during software installation, by the way.

Anyway, assuming you can get to the end of the software install (or maybe you have and you don't know it).  Do this (this is for Vista, 7 will be similar):

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and connected to your network. Verify that you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address before continuing.
2. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Printers.
3. Click the Add a printer
4. Select Local printer
5. Select Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port and click Next button.
6. Under Device type, select TCP/IP Device. Under Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's host name (found on the printer's network configuration report the generated above). Click Next.
If you get a message about Additional Port Information Required, then the printer was not found using the host name. You can go back and retry or using the printer's IP address instead of the host name.
7. Select Hewlett-Packard from the list of manufacturers and select and select your printer model. Click Next.
If your printer model was not listed, then select Have Disk, browse the HP CD that came with your printer and select the first file that starts with hp and ends with inf. Click Open then OK. Select your printer model. Click Next.
8. If you are asked, use the currently installed driver.
9. It will ask for the Printer name -- enter a new name or use the existing one. This will be the name of the printer that you select from other applications.
10. You may be asked to share the printer. Make a choice and click Next.
11. The Print Test Page box appears. Go ahead and print it.

12. Click Finish. 

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Printdoc, I cannot find the file beginning with hp and ending with .inf and I've looked all through the disk.  It's late and I'm going blind.  I know the file should be on the disk.  What am I doing wrong?

HP Recommended
Look in the folder HP or look in the folder that your installation disk installed to (Program Files?).
I am employed by HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.