Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro M277DW
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

During unpacking my new printer I removed the plastic strip which was just in front of the glass bed.

Now I found out that this was not correct. Operating the automatic sheet feeder is no longer possible, the paper is hanging up below a white plastic stip where the transparent plastic stripped was glued on.

Some questions:

can I get a new strip, the old one was torn to pieces while I took it of by accident?

can I mount such a strip my self again?

are more people by accident removing this 'packaging' like strip???

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended
Welcome @canmaker,

Thanks for participating in the forums! I see you are experiencing issues with the ADF feeder. I would be happy to help you.

Based on feedback like your own HP changed the graphics to make it clearer.
As for what to remove, if it's a white very thin piece of foam it needs to be removed.  It is mylar and is held to the printer via an adhesive it should remain in the printer. 

The printer will need to be replaced. Please contact  HP Customer Support and inquire about a replacement printer. Fill in the model number and the form to receive a case number for quicker assistance.

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below. Cheers!
Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

can you still feel an adhesive backing tape or glue material near that white strip? Even if you accidently took off that mylar strip- you may be able to clean off any glue or adhesive and get paper to feed through the adf again. It may be worth a shot if it comes down to you replacing the printer.

Can you attach a pic?

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
HP Recommended

Hi @canmaker,

Usually the paper won't feed correctly and it will jam.

I have provided a picture with illustrations for removing the packing material, I am not sure if this is up to date in the document or if the new graphics are just shipped with the printer.

Source: HP Color LaserJet Pro M252, M274, M277 Printers - Setting Up the Printer Hardware.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Yes, you are not the only one that made that mistake, but the fact is th HP unpacking instructions are very poor with regards to this part of the plastic removal.

The question is where do we get this plastic and can it be done in the field (what part #)?

Anyone been this road yet and how did you solved you problem?

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have not seen any official solution form HP.

you may find some helpful information on this link:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/plastic-film-to-remove-it-or-not/td-p/5015214

HP Recommended

I also removed this plastic film by mistake. How can I get a new film? Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I found this solution in this forum. 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/plastic-film-to-remove-it-or-not/td-p/5015214/page/4

It worked for me. 

"

**My fix for the problem**

I bought one of these printers on eBay and previous owner had already removed the plastic film - so my ADF jammed every time (probably why I got it so cheap).

Thanks to this forum I found out what the cause was.

Fix I came up with was to cut a new iPad 9.7 screen protector (purchased for couple of quid in my local supermarket) to fit the ADF window (it's not quite a perfect width, but does cover the scanner). I then used a tiny piece of scotch tape at each end to hold it in place.

Result - perfect ADF scanning every time.

I like this approach better than using scotch tape all the way across the scanning window as it avoided the problem of bubbles and I wasn't risking a sticky residue on the glass.

Much easier than sending it back to HP!

"

End quote

HP Recommended

Thanks,

this indeed is a design flaw.

There should be no need for this plastic if the glas was just a litle bit higher then the white plastic that blocks the paper.

For me it happened that i wanted to clean the scanning surface with gently sprayed cleaning agent.

The water got underneath this plastic then i thought is should be removed, as it was also scratched already.

I will try the solution with a iPad or other protective cover.

But as this is a design flaw, HP should provide for this covers free of charge !

Thanks forum users, you are much better support then HP

HP Recommended
Just had the same issue. I always thought of hp as a quality brand instead of one that puts a thin plastic film attached by double stick tape. To top that, the way it was packaged lends itself to people pulling that film. Had there not been a film over the screen which was attached to foam which went over just that one area with the film, I probably wouldn't have pulled it. Frustrated this happened. Super cheap
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.