Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP 8600 scanner (from Costco) and had this same problem after upgrading to Yosemite.  I first verified that the actual problem was indeed Yosemite:  I installed Mavericks on a fresh, external drive (wiped and formatted) and successfully set up Scan to Network Folder.  I then upgraded the drive to Yosemite, with no other changes.  That immediately broke the Scan to Network Folder function, although Mac OS Image capture and the HP Scan application still worked.  I verified that Network Folder Scan didn't work from the printer control panel, and that the printer web page Network Folder Setup paths also tested faulty.  The cause seemed to be the Yosemite upgrade alone.  To control unknown variables,   I had made no other changes (in network connection, shared folders, users granted permissions to shared folders, etc).  Then I repeated all this a second time.  I restored Mavericks from a Carbon Copy Cloner backup (everyone should BUY this utility!).  That restored the functionality, which I then broke again by re-upgrading the external test drive to Yosemite a second time. 

As others on this discussion thread and elsewhere have noted, the root cause of the broken Scan to Network Folder functionality is that Yosemite introduced SMB3 networking, which the HP printer does not support.  The HP 8600 supports up to SMB2 networking.  Unless and until the HP printer firmware is upgraded, this fundamental deficiency will not be corrected and HP 8600 Scan to Network Folder functionality will not work.  Also, as others have noted, the Scan to Network Folder functionality is very fiddley even under an OS like Mavericks that supports SMB2.  Slight errors in setup, such as forgetting to share the folder hierarchy you're scanning to (the _entire_ hierarchy, up to and including "Users", it appears), or failing to enable sharing via SMB, such as forgetting to include all the user account names when setting up File Sharing, can all FUBAR things.  Furthermore, the error messages provided by the HP printer's web page are very unhelpful in sorting out the exact type of error you're encountering.  For example, I discovered by trial and error that having any step in the path with > 15 characters (i.e., 16 or more) means the Scan to Network Folder test (and functionality) will fail.  Also, having a too long path overall (I didn't test exactly how long) fouls things up.  There is no way to build the network path inside the HP web page utility, such as by dragging and dropping the folder you want to scan to.  Instead, you have to _correctly_ identify and then type the path without any mistakes.  And that path has to be short, with no individual directory or machine names > 15 characters.  

Having said all that, you can still get Scan to Network Folder to work in Yosemite IF you use Parallels Desktop.  I am using Parallels Desktop version 10.  You can install Mavericks inside Parallels as a virtual machine under Yosemite.  When you do this, the VM is its own separate machine.  There is no folder integration with your (Yosemite) folder structure on your real HDD (like Parallels tools gives you with Windoze).   When you scan you'll have to drag and drop any scanned files you want to integrate into your real HDD's folder structure from the VM file structure on the virtual HDD.  Fortunately, drag and drop works just fine, so that's easy.  

There are several notes I have about using Parallels (another software everyone should buy):

1.  You must install Mavericks from the app store.  Hopefully you "bought" it as a free upgrade.  To re-obtain it, log into the App Store go to the Purchases tab on the top (icon of a little price ticket), and find Mavericks in your list of previously bought software.  Or get someone who did purchase Mavericks to download the installer for you.  There are other ways to get the Mavericks installer as well, which I leave to the enterprising mind.  

2.  Have the Mavericks installer file on the physical disk you've installed Parallels Desktop on.  Choose File Menu...New to get to the window allowing you to install a new virtual machine.  That window has two options:  Install Windows or another OX from a DVD or image file (this is the option you want) or Migrate Windows from a PC.  Parallels should see the Mavericks install.ESD you downloaded when you select the first option.  Install Mavericks.

3.  Set up Mavericks networking properly.  The Mavericks VM has to appear as its own machine on your network, with a unique IP address, just like it was a separate box from your Yosemite machine.  In other words, "Shared Networking" (the Parallels default) will NOT work.  You need to set up Bridged Networking, either by WiFi (probably your case if at home) or Ethernet in case you're hard wired.  You do this by either going to the Actions...Configure...and select Network 1 settings or by choosing the Parallels Devices...Network 1option.  The former path shows you more information, but both  do the same thing.  Assuming you went the Configure menu route, change your Mavericks Network 1 from Shared Networking to Bridged Network, either by WiFi or Ethernet (I suppose you could choose "Default" if you switch back and forth, but I didn't try that).  Leave the MAC address and DHCP Server setting ("Auto") alone.  

4.  Make sure your folders are properly shared on the Mavericks Virtual Machine.  This has several sub-steps:

A.  Go the Mavericks Settings utility, and turn on File Sharing.  But wait, you're not done!  

B.  Add Shared Folders.  Under the Shared Folders pane, click the "+" sign and add your "Users" folder (yes, the entire folder, all users and subdirectories of all users) as a shared folder.  The default rights given seem to be System Administrator:Read and Write, Administrators:Read Only, and Everyone:Read Only.  This default appears to work, even though the printer is obviously *writing* scanned files to the directory.  Don't ask me why you don't need to make Everyone Read and Write.  

C.  Click the Options button in the Settings utility Sharing window you've been working in.  Make sure that at least "Share files and folders using SMB" is turned on.  I also have AFP sharing turned on, and it doesn't interefere.  Then make sure that each user account that will use the printer/scanner is checked as turned "On".  Don't forget this last step.  Then click Done.  

5.  Set up the Scan to Network Folder.  This is done on the printer's web configuration page.  Find your printer's IP address, for example by opening your Airport Utility (if you use an Apple WiFi router) and find it.  The IP will probably be something like 10.0.1.x; today mine is 10.0.1.6.  The exact numbering your Time Capsule or Airport assigns will depend on how many DHCP devices are attached to your network, and in what order they happened to join.

(brief tutorial on finding your IP with an Apple router:  1.  Open Airport Utility in Yosemite, 2. Click your base station's icon (e.g., Lincoln Main Base Station), 3. Enter your password for the Base Station (probably not the same as your Yosemite user pw...), 4.  Click on the HP printer (e.g., HP33C6B6 is my printers unique ID) name shown in the list, 5.  Read your printer's IP from a list of attributes shown)

A.  Open a blank Safari page and type in your printer's IP address, then click OK to any security certificate permission challenges.  The HP printer's web server page opens on your screen.  Navigate to the Scan tab (second tab) on the top.  Then select Network Folder Setup, which will be shown at the bottom of the resulting page's left panel.  This action will bring up the screen where you set up the Network Folder parameters.  The parameters will not be blank if the printer knows about your previous Mavericks (physical HDD Mavericks, or Snow Leopard, or Lion, etc) scanner settings.  That's because your looking at the _printer's_ web server, and previous setting probably exist.  However, you will find if you "test" these that one of those previous parameters will work under Mavericks yet.  That's because you have to set up the proper machine name and directory path for a NEW machine on your network:  the Mavericks VM.

B.  Set up a new Scan to Network Folder path by clicking the "New/+" icon and mousing through the prompts.  Now that your Parallels Mavericks instance is working as a separate "machine" on your network (you did set up Bridged Networking, right?), get your machine name from the VM's (not Yosemite's!) System Preferences Sharing preference.  Click Sharing (little guy in a yellow diamond) and read your Mavericks machine name.  My machine, for example, is called MavericksMacPro (which is at the HP limit of 15 characters!).  You can change any default name to something you like, as long as it is less than 15 characters.  The Mac OS doesn't mind a longer name, but HP will.  Next, using the Printer's web page, set up your Display Name.  This will be the name of the scan job shown on the printer's control panel.  Then enter the Network Path using a double backslash, your machine name, single backslash, your directory path demarcated by single backslashes, and no trailing backslash.  For example mine is \\MavericksMacPro\Users\mlincoln\Documents\Officejet_scans.  Please notice that both "MavericksMacPro" and "Officejet_scans" are at the maximum of 15 characters apiece.   If you use anything longer than 15 characters for any step in the path, the printer will throw and error when you "test".  Also the total path is limited as well (much more than 15 characters...perhaps 63?  I didn't test that exactly).  

C.  Save and test your setup at the final step of the new Scan to Network Folder setup page.  It _should_ work.  If not, you've probably made a mistake somewhere in the path (too long, overlooked whitespace character, etc).  Or you've fouled up the Sharing setup under Mavericks System Preferences.  Or you may occasionally need to do the typical drill of restarting services or rebooting.  For example, you can try rebooting the printer, rebooting the Mavericks VM, or simply stopping and restarting Sharing under the System Preferences utility.  But I've found (and I've worked on this all last evening and this morning) that the typical problems are typos or "stupid mistakes" in the setup.  

I guarantee you this works on a virgin install of a Mavericks VM on top of a virgin Yosemite 10.10.3 physical install.  I just scanned all my daughters' immunizations records for the school this way.  While it ain't simple, it avoids the need to have a second disk or partition with Mac OS X 10.8 or 10.9 on it, and the time lost to rebooting, in order to Scan to Network Folder.  When you need to scan that way, start up your Mavericks VM, scan to your heart's content, drag and droig the results to your physical HDD, and file the scans away.  

HP Recommended

Nice effort - but using scan to computer is likely an easier work around,  though not as robust or easy to use.
But it would be nice if HP invested a few dolars in maintaining its drivers.....

HP Recommended

@Mike_Lincoln wrote:

Having said all that, you can still get Scan to Network Folder to work in Yosemite IF you use Parallels Desktop.  

Far too much effort and resources being used to regain functionality.  It's using a cannon to kill a flea.   I worked around the problem by plugging a USB drive into my router, mounting it, and scanning to that.

Besides - it's not at issue that there are a myriad of workarounds for the problem.  The issue is that HP isn't fixing the problem for a current product.

HP Recommended

"Besides - it's not at issue that there are a myriad of workarounds for the problem.  The issue is that HP isn't fixing the problem for a current product."

Exactly

HP Recommended
I agree it would be wonderful if HP upgraded their printers' firmware. I am not an apologist for HP. However they may not put this effort into legacy models. In that case the "canon" method will work. It saves the hassle of rebooting into a legacy OS partition, or using a USB "sneakernet" drive. I've already got Parallels of course.

I simply published my method because, although I had seen Parallels suggested, I did not find a comprehensive (or any) tutorial. And it took me a while to figure it out. I thought it might be valuable to document a the procedure where others could find it.
HP Recommended

@Mike_Lincoln wrote:
It saves the hassle of rebooting into a legacy OS partition, or using a USB "sneakernet" drive. I've already got Parallels of course.

I simply published my method because, although I had seen Parallels suggested, I did not find a comprehensive (or any) tutorial. And it took me a while to figure it out. I thought it might be valuable to document a the procedure where others could find it.

No sneakernet involved.  I mount the USB storage on the router from the printer and on my mac.  After I scan it's just a drive that I connect to in Finder.

And I understand why you posted the steps, but if anything your posting just further stresses the need for HP to do their job and fix their firmware.

Even tho they won't.

HP Recommended

dao1138,

At the risk of exposing my ignorance, perhaps you'd be willing to write up a similarly detailed tutorial on your workaround? I have an Apple Airport router with a USB hard disk attached. Are you saying I could arrange for "Scan to Network Folder" to drop its output onto that disk (which I can easily access from my Mac)?

I'd even consider getting a new router if it would support the workaround you describe. I just don't know much about how to configure things for this to work, especially that pesky "Network Path" in the set up page for Scan to Network Folder.

Thanks,

Dan

HP Recommended

@whizfish wrote:

dao1138,

At the risk of exposing my ignorance, perhaps you'd be willing to write up a similarly detailed tutorial on your workaround? I have an Apple Airport router with a USB hard disk attached. Are you saying I could arrange for "Scan to Network Folder" to drop its output onto that disk (which I can easily access from my Mac)?

That's exactly what I'm saying.  You should be able to mount it using the Windows from the web control panel for the printer.. i.e.

\\YourAirPortRouterName\USBSharedFolderName

And then use whatever username/password that you have configured for access to it.

I'd do a step-by-step but for every router with a USB mount it's slightly different.  And I don't use an Airport router.

HP Recommended

Just about any router that supports a locally attached HDD will work as the scan to network folder.  You can also use a network attached drive such as a Western Digital MyCloud.  I have a WD MyCloud working like a champ.  You can then move the file anywhere you want.  Price wise a small WD NAS is only slightly more expensive than Parallels and its way easier to maintain!

HP Recommended
Below are the procedures for setting up Scan to Network Folder for Mac OS 10.10 

Set up the Macintosh to allow SMB (Windows) file sharing and a shared folder.
1.	Open System Preferences and select Sharing:

Sharing.jpg 

2.	Turn on File Sharing by selecting the box next to File Sharing.  Then click on the Options button.

SMB.jpgSMB.jpg

3.	Check the box next to "Share files and folders using SMB (Windows)"
Make sure the user account that will be using the scan to folder is in the accounts list and “On”. Click Done.
 
4.	Add the folder that will be shared to the OfficeJet. Click the “+” button under Shared Folders and navigate to the folder that will be shared. Highlight the folder and click “Add”.

~\Users\UserName\SharedFolder

Add Folder.jpgAdd Folder.jpg

5.	Verify the permissions on that folder.  Make sure the user that will be signing into the OfficeJet has Read & Write access to that folder.

File Sharing.jpgFile Sharing.jpg

6.	Close the sharing preferences.
7.	Open the embedded web server for the OfficeJet Pro X Series by typing the printers IP address in to the address field of your selected web browser or using the link in the HP Utility.

7.a.	If using the HP Utility, locate the printer on the left side of the window and click on it.  This will bring up all the options for that device on the right.  Scroll to Scan section at the bottom.

00-0-HP-Utility.jpg00-0-HP-Utility.jpg

7.b.	Click on the Scan to Network Folder option.  This will open the following window.

00-1-HP_Utility-ScanToNetwork.jpeg00-1-HP_Utility-ScanToNetwork.jpeg

7.c.	The Help Me Do This button brings up a simplified instruction set for enabling SMB file share.  This will accomplish the same as what was outlined above.  Click on the Register My Shared Folder... button.  This will open the embedded webserver (EWS) for the OfficeJet in your default web browser.

7.d.	The first screen to appear may be a warning about opening a secure window.  Click OK on this warning.

00-2-Redirecting.jpeg00-2-Redirecting.jpeg

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.