Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I decided to 'punt' and as a workaround just start using the HP Scan application from HP that came with the printer.  At least then I can keep working.  Doesn't help when I'm not home and I need someone to scan into my dropbox tho while I'm away from my desk.

HP Recommended

The previous poster sugested using a down level Mac as a go-between.  For those that don't have an extra down level Mac.  Let me give you my sugestion.  I have Western Digital MyCloud on my network to which scan to folder works great.  My Macs have no trouble mounting the same directory.  So you can scan to the MyCloud and then retrieve it from there with the Mac.

Just my two cents.

HP Recommended
Thanks, but this isn't really a practical solution for a home office or multi user environment. HP needs to step up and honor its customers AND it's Compatibility claims for this printer by fixing the broken function.
HP Recommended

@EricClarke wrote:

The previous poster sugested using a down level Mac as a go-between.  For those that don't have an extra down level Mac.  Let me give you my sugestion.  I have Western Digital MyCloud on my network to which scan to folder works great.  My Macs have no trouble mounting the same directory.  So you can scan to the MyCloud and then retrieve it from there with the Mac.

Just my two cents.

Y'know that was such an obvious idea I hadn't even thought about it.  I have an unused NAS USB hook up on my router too.  I took a 16GB USB drive I'm not using.. plugged it in and not only can the HP send scans to it but my macs instantly saw it the USB as a shared drive.

Personally for a home office situation I think that's more than a suitable workaround because now my family can all use the same drive even if my computer is off.

That said I agree with what napalee said - HP needs to update the firmware to work with Yosemite.  However simple neccessity might have just presented what is for me a better solution.

Thanks Eric.

HP Recommended

We have a yosemite server in our house that runs full time... the drives attached cannot be seen by the printer because the Yosemite machine isn't seen by the printer.  HP is @ issue here and no workaround can resolve this, unfortuantely.  The proper fix is just that, the proper fix.

HP Recommended

@napalee wrote:

@we have a yosemite server in our house that runs full time... the drives attached cannot be seen by the printer because the Yosemite machine isn't seen by the printer.  HP is @ issue here and no workaround can resolve this, unfortuantely.  The proper fix is just that, the proper fix.

Like I said - HP still needs to fix their printer.  For what need *I* happen to have a useable workaround.  I completely understand and empathize with your frustration.

And I'll still keep insisting HP fix this.  Otherwise I'll vote with my dollars and spend them elsewhere just like everyone else will.

HP Recommended

So, I have another workaround - better than the others - for those of you who are a little more technically inclined. Since I'm prolific with Linux, and already had virtualization software on my machine, I reckoned it would be feasible to create a small Linux VM on the computer- attach the folder(s) to which I want to be able to scan to the VM, and then share them with SAMBA. Ended up working like a champ.

I'm back in business for now, but really would like to see an official response from HP. I'm exploring my options if we don't get satisfaction on this.

HP Recommended

Scan to Network Folder broke previously when OS X was upgraded to use Samba version 2.   To allow Scan to Network Folder to work, I ran SMBup to run a version 1 Samba server on OS X .  Eventualy, HP upgraded their firmware and their printers started working under Mavericks maybe 6-12 months prior to Yosemite's release.  This time around, I have so far been unable to get SMBup running in a manner that allows my HP 8600 to scan to a network folder.  Hence my decision to use a Mac running a previous version of OS X to provide a network available scan folder.

HP Recommended

New Solution:

I'm selling my 8600 and have just bought an Epson WF-4640.  Bye HP.  

HP Recommended

@napalee wrote:

New Solution:

I'm selling my 8600 and have just bought an Epson WF-4640.  Bye HP.  

How is it with photo printing?  I mean.. it's Epson so it should be good.. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.