Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have been reading these posts that have devolved into an HP bash for Quite some time.  First I do not work for HP.  I do work for Staples as a computer support tech.  I have set up several hundred networked printers.  HP's software works better than Brother's, Canon's, or Espson's.  I'm not trying to say that HP's is perfect.  It isn't it still has glitches in it.

I pointed out several months ago that you can use a networked attached storage drive as the scan to network folder and then share it to a Mac.  I have been doing that since before I started reading these rants against HP.  So there is a work around that is significantly cheaper than dedicating a Mac with a down-level version of OS X.  You should probably start reading the thread from the beginning instead of jumping in the middle and claiming to have found a clever work around.

You want to claim that HP is arrogant.  How is this?   HP is in the business to make money.  Attempting to reengineer products two or three years after they have quite production of them is a formula to lose money.  Why isn't Apple arrogant for changing the version of SMB in Yosemite and not including a compatibility mode.  IBM made sure that every version of the IBM PC through about DOS 5 could still run Lotus 123 even though Lotus Development Corporation violated every rule in the book on how to interface a program with DOS.  Apple meanwhle took great care in breaking every program that violated even a single rule.  So, you say, HP  should spend huge amounts of resources upgrading old hardware?  Why?

Incidentally, when HP came out with the HP Vectra in 1985, they did fix a lot of compatibility issues.  I believe that by the time I retired my Vectra the only original parts in it belonged to the case.

HP Recommended

@EricClarke I agree HP is in business to make money - but unless you have a very short term outlook and don't mind going bust tomorrow, you need to look after your customers, listen to them, innovate in a direction that makes them want to buy more products and support them in the use of the current product set to ensure that they don't conclude that buying one of your products is a waste of money - because it'll be out of date and you'll be forced into buying another one quickly.

The other element of this is that this is an HP forum, set up by HP, supposedly for support purposes by HP.  We, HP's customers, have raised an issue here and apart from the "lucky" 2 or 3 of us that received private messages from HP (which were of no use at all by the way!) HP has never responded to the issue we've raised.

If HP came out and said some of what you've said, maybe this thread would come to a natural conclusion - i.e. HP could say:

- we are only interested in you buying our latest product

- we have no interest in supporting our existing products, because that undermines the chances of you buying a brand new product from us

That would be clear - we'd know where we stand and we've move on.  (It's what most of probably think anyway).

I have drawn that conclusion - and so for the moment I'm limping on with my unsupported HP product that doesn't do some of the things I bought it for (because HP won't update their firmware) - and at the point I'm ready to buy another printer, I've already made one of the selection choices - it won't be a product from HP!

You say why isn't this Apple's problem: I agree that it might give additional flexibility for Apple to provide a means of using older SMB versions.  However, why are there newer SMB versions - because the older ones have security vulnerabilities, and the newer ones have new features.  Why should Apple create a vulnerability in their platform because HP can't be bothered to spend a few hours updating their firmware?

It's a two way street - HP have the right to do what they've done - and push away a whole bunch of previously satisfied customers - and we have the right to choose with our wallets to go elsewhere for our new printers.

HP Recommended
Eric, never go into business in the big boy world ok?
HP Recommended

@TonyAZ623 wrote:
Eric, never go into business in the big boy world ok?

Don't be too hard on him Tony.  While I wouldn't say being a tech at Staples with 80's era product knowledge is something to be boastful about at least he wasn't bashing Apple..

Oh wait.. he was.. *sigh* nevermind..

HP Recommended

Let's do a bit of recap shall we?

HP sells printer that touts a feature that requires the printer to communicate with  a remote client.
HP knows that at some point the specifics of the methods employed for communication will become obsolete.
For a period of a year or so there are a number of issues with use of the protocol requiring at least one Printer update of the code running on the printer, and eventually the feature ceases to run altogether.

In fact, with the discovery of weaknesses in the protocol, modern OS abandon the version of the protocol employed by HP
HP, faced with the fact that its printers no longer can function with any modern OS as delivered in the manner it promoted, refuses to advise its customers of this fact.
HP claimed to be working on a "solution" but HP's failure to admit the problem, let alone produce a solution a year down the road, makes it pretty clear that HP will never resolve the problem.
The result is that thousands of HP users, having implemented the functionality that HP promoted, were left in the lurch to spend thousands of hours trying to figure out why their printers no longer worked as advertised.
Those customers able to stick with HP's inept support process eventually are offered a printer cartridge

Yes, I think HP should get an award   🙂

HP Recommended
Agreed. I do not understand why anyone would post on a tech forum in defense of a product that is not working. Considering that actual development time to incorporate SMB3 libraries into a new firmware build is not a massive undertaking.

So many apologists and people willing to settle.
HP Recommended

Your comments make no sense.  Let Me explain something to the general public.

If you make a product which works only for a year or so then stops working and the product cost a lot of money, a class action lawsuit should be placed on the company for not upgrading their software or firmware to support new computers operating systems.

Let's define this another way:

if you bought a GM car and it worked fine for two years, then you put the key in the ignition and the car wouldn't start. GM comes back to you and says we are working on a new key which may allow the car to work again, but, gm does not have a clear idea when the new key will be completed.   Would that somehow make you feel better that you couldn't get to work anymore or go grocery shopping, I don't think so.

Let's not carry the company policy line. It's time for a class action lawsuit against HP.

This company is extremely arrogant believing customers paying 4 to $9000 don't mind just losing their money every two years due to now and go out and buy a new printer or new device HP's simply because HP is incompetent.

HP Recommended

In reply to EricClarke:

I need a favor, please.

I'm using an older Airport Extreme wifi router with a USB port, to which I've attached a USB hard disk. I use this as the backup disk for Time Machine on the Mac. (I've never tried to recover a file from it, I really hope they're actually there.) By implication, and verified in practice, I'm already sharing this storage device with my Mac. Therefore, the workaround you and others have described definitely sounds like it would be "good enough" for my purposes (Scan to Folder on network attached storage, and share to Mac from there).

I once tried to designate a folder on that airport-attached hard disk as the target of the Scan to Folder function, but it didn't work. Can you or anyone else give me a "for dummies" description of how to make this work (if I can), especially regarding the exact path description to identify this device and the folder on it? (I'm not a complete tech-idiot, but I confess to being uninterested in the gory details of this particular dilemma.)

Thanks,

Dan

HP Recommended

@worldwideIT wrote:

Your comments make no sense.  Let Me explain something to the general public.

Then allow me to elucidate. It's obvious from your prior post that didn't actually read anything in the thread.  Changing protocol to SMB1 in Yosemite doesn't work.. we know about all the hacks and using an earlier version of OS X.. we know we can use a USB port on a wireless router and scan to that.  All of this has been beaten to death.

These have all be established.  But it doesn't change the simple fact that HP isn't doing an update to resolve the core issue for current OSX customers - and they don't care to.

tl;dr - you either haven't read prior posts to see you're being redundant, you lack comprehension, or you are an idiot.

Thank you very much, drive through please.

HP Recommended
Anybody know if the HP8625 model supports SMB3?
Thanks
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.