Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@clamstar wrote:

I have a laserjet 3015 connected to an XP 32-bit computer and it is shared locally.  I recently added a new computer that is using Win7 64-bit to the network but I am unable to connect it to the hp printer.  I installed the 64-bit driver to the new comp (downloaded from the HP site) but to no avail.  I also tried installing a 64-bit driver to the XP 32-bit computer but it can't read any of the drivers (from the driver that I download from the HP site for win7 64-bit drivers).  Is there another way around this???  I downloaded all 3 kinds of drivers (PCL6, PostScript, PCL5) but for some reason, it won't install when I try to add additional drivers to the XP 32-bit computer.  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Please see my post of 12-08-2009 07:12 PM above in this thread where I said: 

On the Windows 7 computer go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a new port, Local port, Next, \\xpcomputername\lj3015 (where you put in the actual share name of the computer and printer), OK, Windows Update (and wait for the list to repopulate), HP Laserjet 3015 PCL5,  Next, Next.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob Headrick of Microsoft wrote:

============================

On the Windows 7 computer go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a new port, Local port, Next, \\xpcomputername\lj3015 (where you put in the actual share name of the computer and printer), OK, Windows Update (and wait for the list to repopulate), HP Laserjet 3015 PCL5,  Next, Next.

============================

This actually works BUT it should be clarified that where Mr. Headrick says to put in your actual computer name and printer name they should be entered WITH all the magic slashs, for instance: \\ROARING-BOX\PrinterName

Why in the world it is necessary to add a network printer by selecting "local printer" I have no idea but that's microsoft for you.  You can't simply try to add a shared network printer which is connected via usb or otherwise to another PC running 32-bit windows xp under 64-bit windows 7 by choosing "Add a Network, Wireless or Bluetooth printer" on your shiney new 64-bit computer running Windows 7 because Windows 7 will fail to find a driver. 

You CAN use that "Add a Network, Wireless or Bluetooth printer" option to search for available printers on a wireless network;  what Mr. Headrick refers to as a "computer and printer name" will appear with all the magic slashes in the "address" column (not the printer name column) of the add printer search dialog window if you do so. 

You can write it down and type it in verbatim when performing the incantations prescribed by Mr. Headrick.

All hail Microsoft, the masters of the user-hostile interface in all it's hideous complexity.

For the record, I have a new 64-bit HP Pavilion p6300z running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium and my printer is an HP2840 color laserjet connected to and shared across a wireless network by an obsolete home-built tower running 32-bit Windows XP Pro.  I tried for days and weeks to hook up the printer and abused the HP tech support people over the phone no end about the problem.  They professed ignorance and dropped or transferred my calls in circles until I offered to mail them a bomb if they would please give me an appropriate address.

It's pretty clear that Microsoft's Windows 7 "add printer" user interface is defective.  Any bets on whether they'll admit that?

Anyway, my printer finally works tonight.  I have vented my ire.  I have tried to help others.  I am done.

HP Recommended

@ph_kosel wrote:

Bob Headrick of Microsoft wrote:  [snip]

Anyway, my printer finally works tonight.  I have vented my ire.  I have tried to help others.  I am done. [snip]

I do not work for Microsoft or represent them in any way.  

You used my method and got your printer working and you are mad about it?  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Your fancy signature line says microsoft", Mr Headrick.  I have no idea who you actually work for.  HP needs to get on microsoft's case and get windows 7 fixed or else stop selling 64-bit systems.  Educating the HP phone support people about the difficulties of adding printers shared across a network by 32-bit pc's and the work-around wouldn't hurt in the mean time.  If you work for HP you failed to do all of that.  Thanks anyway.

HP Recommended

@ph_kosel wrote:

[snip]  I have no idea who you actually work for.  HP needs to get on microsoft's case and get windows 7 fixed or else stop selling 64-bit systems.  Educating the HP phone support people about the difficulties of adding printers shared across a network by 32-bit pc's and the work-around wouldn't hurt in the mean time.  If you work for HP you failed to do all of that.  Thanks anyway.

This is a user to user support forum.  I happen to be here as a volunteer, helping folks who sometimes appreciate it.  I do not work for anyone.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

OK, you're not HP support staff and you're not Microsoft.staff, so you're not among those who inconvenienced me, and you were actually helpful.  I retract any vitriol that may have splattered on you - I was aiming at the other guys.  :TongueOut:

HP Recommended

There is one issue about sharing printers between 64-bit Windows 7 machines and 32-bit systems that I don't think has been resolved in discussions here.  There is a solution if the printer is connected (via usbor otherwise) to a 32-bit machine; it's a bit of a kludge but it works, and 64-bit machines can share such a printer.  However, there are also problems in the reverse situation when a printer is connected to and shared by a 64-bit machine and 32-bit machines try to access it across a network.  I ran into both sorts of problems in my struggles; at this point I have my printer connected to my old 32-bit pc and am able to use it from my new 64-bit pavilion, but I originally bought the new pavilion to replace that old PC.  Another guy reported problems similar mine earlier in this thread - the 64-bit host won't pass proper drivers to 32-bit clients trying to access the printer it is hosting.

Is there a known solution for this?  I would suppose it would require providing 32-bit drivers somehow to the 32-bit machine, but I'm not sure of the mechanics of this or even whether it wuold solve the problem. 

In my case a 32-bit laptop which had accessed the printer OK prior to connecting it to the new 64 bit pavilion could suddenly not access it any more.  I assume the requisite drivers remained on that laptop.  Moving the printer back to the old 32-bit host resolved that problem, but as I said I originally bought the new 64-bpavilion to replace the old host.

HP Recommended

This trick also worked getting a laserjet 2840, connected to an XP machine to print from my windows 7 networked computers.  Thanks!!!

HP Recommended

Worked for me!

Thanks Bob.

HP Recommended

Tried everything before finding this post. Worked for me!!!!

@Bob_Headrick wrote:

@clamstar wrote:

I have a laserjet 3015 connected to an XP 32-bit computer and it is shared locally.  I recently added a new computer that is using Win7 64-bit to the network but I am unable to connect it to the hp printer.  I installed the 64-bit driver to the new comp (downloaded from the HP site) but to no avail.  I also tried installing a 64-bit driver to the XP 32-bit computer but it can't read any of the drivers (from the driver that I download from the HP site for win7 64-bit drivers).  Is there another way around this???  I downloaded all 3 kinds of drivers (PCL6, PostScript, PCL5) but for some reason, it won't install when I try to add additional drivers to the XP 32-bit computer.  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.