Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hey guys

i recently got a IBM thinkpad with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

we have a HP Laserjet 3015 thats shared on windows xp profesional computer.  i am having trouble installing it on my comuter. if i connect the printer to my computer via USB, windows finds the drivers and it works.

The problem is when ever i try and insatll it over the network it does not work. i can search and find which computer it is attached to and see it in the shared printer list, but when i ever i try to connect to it says connecting>>searching windows update>>cant find drivers. it gives me the option of searching for the drivers to install. i have downloaded the drivers thats on the HP site but they dont help. when ever i select them in the manual it comes with an error saying driver not found then gives u the option of installing it your self. when u select the driver it says windows can not locate a suitable driver.

how can i get around this ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@rory2g wrote:

we have a HP Laserjet 3015 thats shared on windows xp profesional computer.  i am having trouble installing it on my comuter. if i connect the printer to my computer via USB, windows finds the drivers and it works.

The problem is when ever i try and insatll it over the network it does not work. i can search and find which computer it is attached to and see it in the shared printer list, but when i ever i try to connect to it says connecting>>searching windows update>>cant find drivers. it gives me the option of searching for the drivers to install. i have downloaded the drivers thats on the HP site but they dont help. when ever i select them in the manual it comes with an error saying driver not found then gives u the option of installing it your self. when u select the driver it says windows can not locate a suitable driver.

Try the following:  On the Windows 7 computer go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a new port, Local port, Next, \\xpcomputername\lj3015 (where you put in the actual share name of the computer and printer), OK, Windows Update (and wait for the list to repopulate), HP Laserjet 3015 PCL5,  Next, Next.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55
HP Recommended

@rory2g wrote:

Try the following:  On the Windows 7 computer go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a new port, Local port, Next, \\xpcomputername\lj3015 (where you put in the actual share name of the computer and printer), OK, Windows Update (and wait for the list to repopulate), HP Laserjet 3015 PCL5,  Next, Next.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

My problem is that I have a HP laserjet 3015 printer connected to a windows 7 64 bit pc with the driver installed and working fine. but when I try to add this printer over the network on a xp machine the printer does not install it gives an error that the 32 bit driver for the printer is not installed in the host printer.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. HP 3015 installed via USB on WIndows 7 x64 with PCL 5 driver

shared, no password

I go the XP Pro 32bit computer, network browser sees printer, try and connect, says incorrect driver on server (no 32bit) so I point to XP installation CD, install fails, can't find driver.

I downloaded XP latest XP 32bit driver, (it doesn't offer a network install) so I pointed to the unpacked files, if fails no mater which inf.

I tried installing printer via USB and moving to correct port, won't print.

Help

John

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help. I am able to add my XP Professional networked HP 2200dt printer but when I try printing from my Windows 7 ultimate computer, it only feeds paper through with nothing printed on the sheets.  I have tried support over at Windows and now here. Please help--I have wasted enough time on trying to get this to work. (Side note, none of this would be an issue if my 2200 worked properly on the network, but it has burned through three jetdirect cards in the last four months and I can't afford to keep replacing them.)

HP Recommended

Sir,

I have sort of the same problem.

3015 is shared on desktop funning WIN7 32.

New laptop running WIN7 64 will not allow the printer to be added.

I tried the new port solution, but it will not recognize the port. Is the share name information case sensitive and do the spaces need to remain?

HP Recommended

Thanks Bob, that was easy enough.

FYI. I am running Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit

HP Recommended

After much ado I found you recommendation andI tried  for my printer -- using \\mycomputername\dj952c (and many variations -- it's a deskjet 952c -- but keep getting the error "the network name cannot be found." So, any other ideas?

HP Recommended

@whitejaq wrote:

After much ado I found you recommendation andI tried  for my printer -- using \\mycomputername\dj952c (and many variations -- it's a deskjet 952c -- but keep getting the error "the network name cannot be found." So, any other ideas?

The share names need to be the actual names for your computer and printer.  You can find the computer name as follows:  on the Windows XP machine click Start, Run, CMD.EXE.  This will open a command prompt window.  In the command prompt window type:

HOSTNAME

This will give the computer name of the XP machine, and this is what should be used in place of mycomputername above.  Now go to Start, Control Panel, Printers and Faxes, then right click on your printer, Properties, Sharing.  If there is a check in the "Share this printer" then the name in share name is what would replace the dj952c in the \\mycomputername\dj952c string.  If there is no check or if there is a warning about security then tell the computer you want the printer shared and give it an appropriate name.

835i1B881AFBC8F6A5FC

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I have a laserjet 3015 connected to an XP 32-bit computer and it is shared locally.  I recently added a new computer that is using Win7 64-bit to the network but I am unable to connect it to the hp printer.  I installed the 64-bit driver to the new comp (downloaded from the HP site) but to no avail.  I also tried installing a 64-bit driver to the XP 32-bit computer but it can't read any of the drivers (from the driver that I download from the HP site for win7 64-bit drivers).  Is there another way around this???  I downloaded all 3 kinds of drivers (PCL6, PostScript, PCL5) but for some reason, it won't install when I try to add additional drivers to the XP 32-bit computer.  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.