Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

where can I find my proxy address and the printer code on the HP officejet 6500A Plus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello nyabinghi,

If you have already performed the steps I mentioned above and are still having issues then there may be some steps you can try to get this working for you.

1. Find out the IP address of the printer by pressing the wireless icon from the front panel of the printer.

2. Open a browser on your computer that is connected to the same network as the printer. Type the IP address of the printer into the browser's address bar. (i.e. http://192.168.1.5)

3. Once you are in the webpage with the printers settings, click on the 'Network' tab.

4. On the left side of the page click on the Network Address (IP) underneath the Networking heading.

5. Click on the radio button next to Manual IP and then click the 'Suggest a Manual IP Address' button to have the system assign you a Manual IP address.

6. In the Manual DNS Server boxes type the following:

Manual Preferred DNS Server: 8.8.8.8

Manual Alternate DNS Server: 8.8.4.4

7. Press the Apply button to save these changes

Once you have saved the Manual IP settings you should power cycle the printer by unplugging the power cord from the printer, leaving it unplugged for 30 seconds, then reconnecting the power cord to the printer. Once plugged back in the printer should power on automatically.

Once the printer has powered back on try enabling Web Services again and see if it will allow you to connect.

Please let me know if this helps with your issue so I can help you further if needed.

If I have solved your issue, please feel free to provide kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.

View solution in original post

51 REPLIES 51
HP Recommended

Hello pennindm,

You should not need to enter a proxy address unless this printer is connected to a business network which has a proxy server on it which requires that devices use a proxy address to connect to the internet. If you are receiving this message when trying to enable Web Services then here are some steps you should try to get past this message:

1. While the printer is still on, unplug the power cord from the printer, leave it unplugged for 30 seconds, then reconnect the power cord to the printer. Once plugged back in the printer should power on automatically.

2. If step 1 does not resolve the issue then try this: First, unplug the printers power cord while it is still on. Leave it unplugged and walk to the router. While the router is still on, unplug the power cord from the router, leave it unplugged for 30 seconds, then reconnect the power cord to the router. Once plugged back in the router should power on automatically. Now go back to the printer and plug its power cord back in. Once plugged back in the printer should power on automatically.

Feel free to reply to this post with any further questions and I will try to assist you.

If I have solved your issue, please feel free to provide kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.
HP Recommended
hi,i was experiencing the same problem regarding proxy server and port set up using my hp photosmart 5510. i tried to to what you said and still encountering the same problem. Hope you can assit me on this. Best Regards
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have this issue too, I tried what you

HP Recommended

Hello nyabinghi,

If you have already performed the steps I mentioned above and are still having issues then there may be some steps you can try to get this working for you.

1. Find out the IP address of the printer by pressing the wireless icon from the front panel of the printer.

2. Open a browser on your computer that is connected to the same network as the printer. Type the IP address of the printer into the browser's address bar. (i.e. http://192.168.1.5)

3. Once you are in the webpage with the printers settings, click on the 'Network' tab.

4. On the left side of the page click on the Network Address (IP) underneath the Networking heading.

5. Click on the radio button next to Manual IP and then click the 'Suggest a Manual IP Address' button to have the system assign you a Manual IP address.

6. In the Manual DNS Server boxes type the following:

Manual Preferred DNS Server: 8.8.8.8

Manual Alternate DNS Server: 8.8.4.4

7. Press the Apply button to save these changes

Once you have saved the Manual IP settings you should power cycle the printer by unplugging the power cord from the printer, leaving it unplugged for 30 seconds, then reconnecting the power cord to the printer. Once plugged back in the printer should power on automatically.

Once the printer has powered back on try enabling Web Services again and see if it will allow you to connect.

Please let me know if this helps with your issue so I can help you further if needed.

HP Recommended
i did what you said and it's now working!kudos!
HP Recommended
Thank you very much, this worked for me
HP Recommended

Hallelujah!!!  I have been fighting this for months.  Thank you, this worked. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have a OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus, and I'm have problems with Web Services; I'm not able to enable the connection. I tried some of the items you have listed for the other models, but still no luck...

I followed thru the steps to enter the proxy address but still no luck.

Any assistance will be greatly appricated.

Thank you,

VinnieK

HP Recommended

Hello Vinniek,

If you are still having issues after performing all of these steps there may be something related to your router that is blocking this connection. I would check these settings and/or contact the router manufacturer. I have seen in the past that some routers do not allow the printers to enable Web Services due to settings or built in firewalls.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.