Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Inkjet 5740

I have an HP InkJet 5740. I don't use it very often and when I just printed a document the black is printing poorly. It's got lines through the characters and some lines half the characters are missing, like the bottom half or top half. I ran the cartridge cleaning cycle through all three stages and the black box has white lines through it.  I waited 30 minutes and ran it again with very little improvement. All the colors are perfect.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @tryan_TM3,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It seems like you're experiencing issues with the black ink in your HP InkJet 5740 printer. Poor print quality with lines and missing portions of characters can be frustrating, but there are several troubleshooting steps you can take to address this problem.

Check the Black Ink Cartridge: Ensure that the black ink cartridge is not empty or nearing the end of its lifespan. Replace the cartridge if it's low on ink or expired.

Clean the Printhead Manually: Sometimes, the automated printhead cleaning cycle may not be sufficient. You can try cleaning the printhead manually. Here's how:

• a. Turn off the printer and unplug it from the power source. 
  • b. Remove the black ink cartridge. 
  • c. Dampen a lint-free cloth or paper towel with distilled water. 
  • d. Gently wipe the printhead to remove any dried ink or debris. Be careful not to touch the nozzles directly. 
  • e. Allow the printhead to air dry for a few minutes. 
  • f. Reinsert the black ink cartridge and power on the printer. 
  • g. Run a test print to check if the issue is resolved.

Check for Software Updates: Ensure that your printer's firmware and driver software are up to date. Visit the HP website to download the latest drivers and firmware updates for your printer model.

Use Genuine HP Ink Cartridges: Using genuine HP ink cartridges is recommended for optimal performance and print quality. Generic or refilled cartridges may not produce consistent results.

Adjust Print Quality Settings: Check your printer's settings and adjust the print quality to a higher setting if necessary. This might improve the print output.

Perform Deep Cleaning: Some printers offer a deep cleaning option, which is more intensive than the regular printhead cleaning. You can usually find this option in your printer's software or on the printer's control panel. Run a deep cleaning cycle for the black ink.

Align the Printhead: Check if your printer has an alignment function and run it to ensure that the printhead is properly aligned for accurate printing.

Check Paper and Media: Make sure you are using the correct type and size of paper for your print job. Using the wrong paper can affect print quality.

Check for Clogs: If the issue persists, there may be stubborn clogs in the printhead that require more thorough cleaning. 

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it's possible that there may be a more significant problem with the printhead or the printer itself.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.