Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Installed new black ink cartridge (Hp 950).  Printer tells me problem with ink system, provides fix that does not work.  In the process of all this with taking the cartridge in and out, printer tells  me that cartridge is reused.  I don't know if this is good or bad, but my printer does not work.  Put old cartridge back in--says cartridge empty, must be replaced.  I'm very confused.  Any advice out there?  I'm wondering if Walmart sold me a defective cartridge.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Paulie622,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand you're experiencing issues with your HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer (N911a) could be due to several factors, including a defective cartridge, cartridge recognition problems, or printer firmware issues. 

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the problem:

Check Cartridge Authenticity:

• Ensure the new black ink cartridge (HP 950) is genuine. Non-HP or refilled cartridges can sometimes cause recognition issues.
  • Look for the HP security seal on the cartridge packaging to verify its authenticity.

Clean Cartridge Contacts:

• Turn off the printer and unplug it.
  • Remove the new cartridge.
  • Gently clean the electrical contacts on the cartridge and in the printer with a lint-free cloth slightly dampened with distilled water.
  • Allow the contacts to dry completely before reinserting the cartridge.

Reset the Printer:

• With the printer turned on, unplug the power cord from the back of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait for at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet and then back into the printer.
  • Turn the printer on.

Update Printer Firmware: Update the firmware on an HP printer 

• Check if there is a firmware update available for your printer on the HP support website. Installing the latest firmware can sometimes resolve compatibility issues with newer cartridges.

Reinstall Cartridges:

• Reinstall the new black ink cartridge. Make sure it clicks securely into place.
  • Close the cartridge access door and see if the printer recognizes the cartridge.

Printer Diagnostics:

• Run the printer's built-in diagnostics to see if it can identify the problem. This can usually be done from the printer’s control panel under the “Settings” or “Tools” menu.

Try Another Cartridge:

• If possible, try using another new HP 950 black cartridge. This can help determine if the issue is with the cartridge itself or the printer.

Refer to this document: HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a User manual

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.