Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5530 e-All-in-One
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Anyone know to seal inkjet ink on plain copier paper? I'm using the HP Envy 5530 printer & genuine HP 301 Cartridges. There are no smudges when printing but as soon as I go to do something on the paper, such as highlight text, even after a day of letting it dry, the ink smears/smudges. Apparently the black cartridge uses Pigment as opposed to ink, which is supposed to make it less susceptible to smudging, but it's the black ink that's smearing. I've tried Googling for sealant spray, such as you can use for photo printing and sealing inkjet ink used on glossy paper - but there is no version for plain copier paper. This has been an ongoing problem for me and I would like to try and resolve the issue before taking dramatic steps such as switching to a laser jet printer. I am using good quality paper and allowing enough time for drying, so can someone please be a Godsend and provide me with a miracle resolution? Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@mattyg2702

Let's clean the ink cartridges and align the printer

1. On the printer control panel, touch the Settings icon .

2. Touch Tools, and then touch Clean Printhead. The printer cleans the printhead, and then prints a test page.

3. Check the print quality of the test page.

• If the print quality is good, touch Done.

• If the print quality is not good, touch Clean Again. The printer cleans the ink cartridges again, and then prints another test page.

Next Align the printer

For the best print quality, align the ink cartridges.

1. Load plain white paper in the paper tray.

2. On the printer control panel, touch the Settings icon .

3. Touch Tools, and then touch the Down Arrow  once.

4. Touch Align Printer.

The printer prints a test page, and then prompts you to scan the page.

5. Lift the scanner lid, and then place the page on the glass according to the instructions on the alignment page.

6. Close the scanner lid, and then touch OK.

Print another Print Quality Diagnostic report, and examine the page.

Keep me posted 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @KrazyToad, thanks for your reply. I have done all of this, but it’s not the ink smudging during printing that’s the issue. It’s afterwards, even after the ink has dried, when I highlight the text with a highlighter pen that the text smudges. I’ve tried using Draft mode in case the Normal mode is using too much ink, but this problem still happens then too.

HP Recommended

@mattyg2702

At this point I suggest you contact HP Support for Service Options

Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.