Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Smart Tank 450
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My new printer, which I have used max 1 times, is not telling me the cardridges are empty. It has done so since the start but printed with relative ease (have had to re-calibrate a few times). Now basically no color and no black color at all is being printed, despite all the test pages and re-calibration and printer and ink cleaining that I have done. What might I be missing? I have found no additoinal help online as to what might be causing this issue and what I can do about it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Testsson,

Thank you for replying,

please wait for the part to be delivered, so that you can install and check if that helps in resolving the issue.

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,
I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,
It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.
And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment. 

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Testsson,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I see from your post that you are having issues printing from your HP Smart Tank printer. Don't worry we'll work together to help you resolve this issue.

Splendid effort and fabulous description of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score.  You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you tried to clean the printhead?

Are you able to make a copy from the printer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

If the copy comes out bad, then I would suggest this could be a possible hardware failure, before you come to any conclusion, I would suggest you try the steps suggested in the support document for - Black Ink Not Printing and Other Print Quality Issues

If the copy comes out fine, then I would suggest here is to uninstall and reinstall the printer software.

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Smart Tank printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Now click on this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-smart-tank-wireless-450-series/1618095... to download and install the printer software.

Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Keep me posted,

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello! 

Many thanks for the elaborate answer, it is highly appreciated. I have now had the time to sit down and try the indicated possible solutions. I had tried the suggested quality tests and solutions without suceess prior to posting here. 

What are my options now, as none of the suggestions work for me? 

The photocopies I try copying and documents I try printing show a bit of color (e.g. blue, red) but no black despite the ink being there and the ink is the one included with the printer (e.g. HP ink). 

Best, 

AR

HP Recommended

@Testsson,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have already tried to follow the steps suggested and unfortunately nothing has helped to resolve this issue.

In this scenario, check this: I'm sending out a Private message with the information you need to get this sorted,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile 

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it 

Keep me posted,

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have called HP Support in my country as instructed, and they are sending me a new black printer part for the printer. It will arrive in a few days and I will test it then. 

HP Recommended

@Testsson,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😀

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Now you misread what I worte.  I was given a SUGGESTION  as to how to solve the problem and am awaitng the parcel with a new part for the printer to see if it solves the issue. The issue then is NOT SOLVED yet. 

HP Recommended

@Testsson,

Thank you for replying,

please wait for the part to be delivered, so that you can install and check if that helps in resolving the issue.

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,
I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,
It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.
And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment. 

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The new printer head (black) solved the problem. The old one must have been broken. Thanks for the help! 

HP Recommended

@Testsson,

Thanks for the update,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to diagnose the issue, and the replacement part seems to have done the trick.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

If you need any assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.