Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I really think it is a problem with the software as it prints black as a copier.

HP Recommended

My HP 7520 All in One Printer stopped printing the black ink cartridge this week -- all of a sudden -- everything had been great, and then just quit. I've cleaned the print head, aligned the cartridges and changed the cartridge.

At first the test page showed that it probably just needed to be cleaned, it still didn't print anything, a complete blank -- like the printer didn't send the info to the printer -- in addition, I used to be able to access "clean printhead" and align printer in my settings on my MAC Book PRO -- I'm currently running BIG SUR 11.2.3; I had updated a driver a couple of months ago when I updated the OS and everything was fine -- until this week.

My guess is that this is either a software or driver issue -- please advise before I scrap the printer -- it is a great printer!

Kathy Boone!

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with the black ink not printing.  I tried the steps mentioned and want to point out that in steps 8-11 my system will not allow me to remove this particular HP driver. I get the message that the file is being used and can not be deleted.  Could this be why the drivers will not install properly?  Could this issue also be that the drivers are out of date??  Every time Microsoft has system updates I get a print error have to reinstall my HP printer software/drivers and my issues always seem to coincide with these updates.  A fresh install usually works but not this time.  Please help!!  I just spent $160 on ink that I can't not return.  

HP Recommended

Hi I am having the same issue with the black not printing.  I do notice when I make a copy and I choose copy as black nothing prints on the page (it's blank). When I choose copy as color the page prints with color with some light gray text.  What is causing this?  Is the printer junk?  

HP Recommended

@Katharine4, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

You do not have to reinstall the printer drivers on the computer as it is not related to the issue.

This is a hardware issue either with the black ink cartridge or the printhead of the printer.

Are you using an HP Photosmart 7520?

Are you using HP ink cartridges?

Clean the printhead up to 2 times and print a quality report to check the result.

Refer to steps 11 and 8 from this document - Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues

If the issue persists, you may perform steps 10 and 15

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, thanks for responding.  I am using HP PhotoSmart 5520.  I am using genuine HP ink cartridges.  I installed a new ink cartridge thinking this was the problem but it still did not work.  I followed directions on how to clean the printhead and still does not work.  

HP Recommended

@Katharine4

If you have tried a new ink cartridge and the issue persists, I'm afraid the issue is with the printhead. The printhead is replaceable, but it may cost as much as a new printer.

Reach out to the HP Support in your region to check the availability of the part if you want to replace it.

If the printer is out of warranty, I suggest you upgrade the printer. You may visit Hp Store to check the available printers.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Start, control panel, devices and printers, right click on your printer, printing preferences, make sure the printer is set to use all available ink.

Click on more options and make sure the complete-a-print boxes are unchecked, if using an inkjet printer.

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer.

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.