Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, on my system I just can't get the printer mentioned to print for months now. Whenever I try to open its settings I get the following popup. If I try to print without opening settings, nothing will happen at all.

Function address 0xe00e9149 caused a protection fault.
(exception code 0xe06d7363)
Some or all property page(s) may not be displayed.

I've tried things suggested to other people with this issue but nothing seems to help.

• HP Print and Scan Doctor - doesn't change anything, sadly, but the propgram will hang up when it asks me if the test page printed and I say No Print
  • Removing all HP software
  • "Let's perform a root level uninstall and reinstall of printer drivers: 

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
    • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
    • Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
    • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
    • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
      To reinstall, click here
      " Sadly did not help
  • Fixing windows with sfc/scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth - no errors found
  • Funnily enough, another Windows 10 system in this household works with the printer...

I have seen this error message in dozens of threads via the search message so.. I'm a bit puzzles as how to fix this? I don't want to have to resort to installing a clean Windows 10 copy.

You can find my msinfo64 output here

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@parttimehorse Please use a copier to check if it works as a stand-alone device, if it works and yet the error appears on your windows device, I suggest you create a new user account, preferable administrator account and then attempt the same steps you've mentioned to remove and reinstall using the root level installation process if the issue persists, I recommend using the below steps: 

1. Turn on the printer.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer. If your printer has a network or wireless connection, leave it connected.

4. Remove the ink cartridges from the printer.

5. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip.

6. Wait at least 60 seconds.

7. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: 

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to a wall outlet.

8. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

9. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

10. Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

11. Reinsert the ink cartridges, and then close the ink cartridge access door.

12. If you receive a prompt to print a calibration page, do so.

13. If you disconnected the USB cable, reconnect it to the rear of the printer.

14. Try to print.

If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Riddle_Decipher,
thanks for getting back to me about the issue I'm having! First of all, sorry for the slow reaction, I didn't have time to try your suggestion before now. Unfortunately, attempting the same procedure with a newly created local administrator account did not yield success, and also the suggestion with removing the power for at least 60 seconds did not change anything.
It does work as a copier and I can use Windows Fax & Scan to create scans on my Windows machine via the printer.

Best regards
Rob

HP Recommended

@parttimehorse If the copier works fine and yet the printer doesn't, I suggest performing a clean installation of the driver to resolve the issue:

• Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, unplug the USB cable from the printer (if present). 
  • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: click here

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the further suggestions, I did attempt those steps in the order you suggested. Sadly,
I still get

Function address 0xb6f89129 caused a protection fault.
(exception code 0xe06d7363)
Some or all property page(s) may not be displayed.

HP Recommended

@parttimehorse the next best thing to do, is this:

1. Clean the printer driver first.

2. Re-installing the printer driver through USB cable connect directly from the printer to your laptop.

3. Let Windows 10 to detect the driver itself instead of installing the driver downloaded from HP website: Click here for details.

4. If nothing works, create a new administrative account and try step 2 & 3 again.

I hope that answers your query.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.