Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have a  message on my HP Envy 110 printer:  "Error. Carriage jam. Clear carriage jam. Touch OK."

I performed power reset but it didn't help.  When it was restarted I heard a click as looks like the carriage cannot move.  It happened after I had a paper jam.  I cleaned it but after that I started to have this problem.

Can someone help me to fix this problem or advise what could be done?

Thank you in advance.

P.S.  I know, it is an old one but I like to use it when I need 2-side printing.  I have another one (HP2700) but don't like it much (purchased as a backup for Envy).

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @ch2711,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you've already done some good troubleshooting with your HP Envy 110 printer. Here are some additional steps you can try to resolve the carriage jam:

Turn Off and Unplug: Make sure the printer is off and unplugged to avoid any risk of electric shock or further damage while you work on it.

Open the Printer Access Door: Open the printer to access the carriage area. Check if the carriage moves freely along the carriage path. Avoid forcing it if it seems stuck.

Check for Obstructions: Look for any pieces of paper or debris that might be blocking the carriage. Sometimes even small pieces of paper or tape can cause the carriage to jam.

Clean the Carriage Path: Use a soft, dry cloth to clean the carriage path of any ink or debris. Be gentle to avoid damaging any parts.

Inspect and Clean the Encoder Strip: The encoder strip is a clear plastic strip that runs the length of the printer above or behind the carriage. Over time, ink splatter or dust can accumulate on it, causing the carriage to misread its position. Carefully clean the encoder strip with a soft, lint-free cloth dampened with water. Be very gentle and cautious not to unseat or damage the strip.

Check the Carriage for Mechanical Issues: Since you heard a clicking sound, it's possible there may be a mechanical issue. Inspect the carriage for any broken parts or loose components. If something is broken, a replacement part or professional repair might be necessary.

Realign the Carriage Manually (if possible): Gently try to move the carriage to its resting position on the right. Do not force it if it resists movement.

Plug In and Turn On: Once everything looks clear and the carriage moves freely by hand, plug in and turn on the printer. Watch to see if the carriage moves as intended without error.

Reset the Printer Again: Even after clearing the jam, resetting the printer can help clear error states. Turn the printer off, unplug it for a minute, and then plug it back in and turn it on.

Run the Printer's Built-in Troubleshooting: If your printer has a maintenance or troubleshooting menu, use it to run any available tests or fixes for carriage or paper jam issues.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.