Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5530
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I recently updated to Catalina OS and found that AirPrint now only prints a blue outline of the text which is unreadable. Next, I updated my HP drivers & software, but the problem its unchanged. I am air printing in color from the Goodnotes app on my iPad Pro, which has worked beautifully until now. My printer is under the HP InstaInk program which says my cartridges are fine so I do not have another set of cartridges to try. I cleaned the cartridges and printed a test page and it looks perfect.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Since downloaded the new HP drivers I can now print a pdf, but again, all that is printed is a blue outline of the letters which is not readable. So - this problem is not specific to the AirPrint mode. I printed a page from a pages file (as pdf) and the colored text printed correctly but the black text did not print at all. I found an old Insta-Ink black cartridge and replaced it but it did not solve the problem in my case. (I saw this solution suggested for a previous person reporting only blue outlines of text.) At this point I am out of ideas and would appreciate help.

HP Recommended

@Cjmarsha

Have you tried the HP Smart App?

Here is the document for help- HP Printers - Install and Use the HP Smart App 

Keep me posted.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.