Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I totally agree with you: after the firmware upgrade the printer started giving error messages and would not work anymore.

--
Regards,
Joop Roseboom
HP Recommended

100%.  Firmware bricked the computer. 

HP Recommended

100%.  Firmware bricked the printer. 

HP Recommended

Same exact issue. It prompted me to update the firmware today. Seemed like it worked okay, but later when I rebooted the printer it keeps giving me a 49 service error. Also tried the hard reset with the storage init (holding your finger down on the screen during the boot-up sequence), but didn't fix the problem. There's something wrong with the firmware.

HP Recommended

Is there a way to contact HP technical support? I can't find a way to do it. When I select out of warranty technical support it says "This service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." Seems like they don't want anyone to contact them issues on old products. 😞

HP Recommended

While I know where to download the RFU firmware image, I can't find anyway to update it prior to it rebooting. Even if you put in a USB stick formatted with a FAT file system it will only go into the print menu for a few seconds before the 49 error code pops up and it automatically power cycles. I also don't know of anyway to force a firmware update from USB upon startup.

Worth mentioning, but I had genuine HP cartridges from the factory in it. It's been working fine (even with the previous firmware version.) It's something in the latest image that got pushed.

HP Recommended

I spent another hour on the phone with HP support.  I gave him access to my computer and video'd with him for phone and he couldn't get the firmware to take.  Basically it's a $500 paperweight.  There is nothing they can do and there is no way to flash it via jumpdrive.  I bought a Brother and contacted the class action firm.  There is no way this is right and HP must be made to make this right.

HP Recommended

I had the same thing happen to me. I spent $300 on the printer's all-new toner (high-capacity ones) and installed them that morning, October 22, 2022. I did the update in the afternoon, and the printer started giving me an error 79 followed by 49. I had never seen these errors until I did the update. I have had the printer for about 18 months. I did all the suggestions, disconnecting all wires, hard Reset, and soft Reset by holding my finger on the bottom corner, and it got stuck in a loop that kept powering down and starting back up, ending with a 49 Error code.

I ended up just taking the printer back to Costco with brand-new ink installed and purchasing a new one. I can't believe there isn't a better way to resolve this. Thank goodness Costco takes care of its customers. I told them I would never purchase HP ever again. I completely wasted 4 hours of my day trying to resolve it. Complete JOKE, and even better yet, there hasn't been one HP employee to respond to my post in more than 24 hours or any of the others. What service on these forums? My printer was a 600 printer. At that price point, there should be a much better way to reach HP tech support to assist. They always want to say it's the computer or router or anything but their equipment.

HP Recommended

Did Costco take it back?  Mine is 3 years old.  I'd like to think they would take it back.  I am astonished (not really) that HP isn't taking better care of their customers on this issue.  It's OBVIOUS that the firmware is bricking printers.  It happened to all of us THE SAME DAY!  Class action suit for sure---I'll be happy to sign on to that and lead the class.

HP Recommended

Hi, exactely the same to me today (25th 10, 2022, It's clear that the 20221010 firmware bricked my printer.

Try everythings in the forum to get out of 79 Error after a foctory reset still looping on error 49.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.