Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 8730
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want my 8730 printer to DEFAULT to duplex printing and only change to single printing for those FEW instances.

How can I do this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @RUKidding1, Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Try the steps recommended below to save the default print settings to two-sided.

If your print driver has a Printing Shortcut tab, save commonly used settings in a custom shortcut.

1. In the print settings window, click the Printing Shortcut tab, then click one of the shortcut names in the list.

2. Change any settings using the menus in the right side of the window.

A User Specified Print Settings shortcut displays at the bottom of the shortcuts list.

Figure : User Specified Print Settings shortcut in Printing Shortcuts window

User Specified Print Settings shortcut in Printing Shortcuts window
  3. Select print on both sided manually to two-sided from the drop down.
  4. Click the shortcut to highlight it, then click Save As to rename it.

Refer this article to know more information about changing printer driver settings. Click Here

Also, try the steps recommended below.

You can print on both sides of a sheet of paper automatically by using the automatic two-sided printing mechanism (duplexer).
1. From your software, select Print.
2. Make sure your printer is selected.
3. Click the button that opens the Properties dialog box.
Depending on your software application, this button might be called Properties, Options, Printer Setup,
Printer Properties, Printer, or Preferences.
4. Select the appropriate options.
On the Layout tab, select Portrait or Landscape orientation, and select Flip on Long Edge or Flip
on Short Edge from the Print on Both Sides drop-down list.
● On the Paper/Quality tab, select the appropriate paper type from the Media drop-down list in the
Tray Selection area, and then select the appropriate print quality in the Quality Settings area.
● Click the Advanced button, in the Paper/Output area, select the appropriate paper size from the
Paper Size drop-down list.
Click OK to print.
NOTE: After one page of the document has been printed, wait for the printer to reload the paper
automatically to print on the other side. You do not need to take any action.

Refer this article to know more information about printing two-sided from the printer. Click Here

Hope this answers your query!
Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @RUKidding1, Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Try the steps recommended below to save the default print settings to two-sided.

If your print driver has a Printing Shortcut tab, save commonly used settings in a custom shortcut.

1. In the print settings window, click the Printing Shortcut tab, then click one of the shortcut names in the list.

2. Change any settings using the menus in the right side of the window.

A User Specified Print Settings shortcut displays at the bottom of the shortcuts list.

Figure : User Specified Print Settings shortcut in Printing Shortcuts window

User Specified Print Settings shortcut in Printing Shortcuts window
  3. Select print on both sided manually to two-sided from the drop down.
  4. Click the shortcut to highlight it, then click Save As to rename it.

Refer this article to know more information about changing printer driver settings. Click Here

Also, try the steps recommended below.

You can print on both sides of a sheet of paper automatically by using the automatic two-sided printing mechanism (duplexer).
1. From your software, select Print.
2. Make sure your printer is selected.
3. Click the button that opens the Properties dialog box.
Depending on your software application, this button might be called Properties, Options, Printer Setup,
Printer Properties, Printer, or Preferences.
4. Select the appropriate options.
On the Layout tab, select Portrait or Landscape orientation, and select Flip on Long Edge or Flip
on Short Edge from the Print on Both Sides drop-down list.
● On the Paper/Quality tab, select the appropriate paper type from the Media drop-down list in the
Tray Selection area, and then select the appropriate print quality in the Quality Settings area.
● Click the Advanced button, in the Paper/Output area, select the appropriate paper size from the
Paper Size drop-down list.
Click OK to print.
NOTE: After one page of the document has been printed, wait for the printer to reload the paper
automatically to print on the other side. You do not need to take any action.

Refer this article to know more information about printing two-sided from the printer. Click Here

Hope this answers your query!
Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Changing it in the Printing SHortcuts worked.  Thanks so much!

HP Recommended

@RUKidding1

I'm glad to know your issue is resolved. 

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,
Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.