Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I am in the same boat as you...the 'solution' doesn't seem to be working for people now....what a mess....

HP Recommended

You will need to perform a factory reset. This has solved the problem for me. You will need to search how to perform a reset or ask hp support as I'm not allowed to post it here. 

HP Recommended

Please send any secret sauce re solving 79 Service Error... Stuck....

HP Recommended

[posted in another thread, posting here in the hope that this information is helpful]

In our environment, we found that this was happening on printers that had previously been registered with Google Cloud Print.

The last host the printer communicated with before each 79 Service Error was accounts.google.com.

Google has ended support for Google Cloud Print, and our guess is that something changed within the last day or so on Google's side of things which then caused the affected printers to begin exhibiting these symptoms.

Preventing the printer from communicating with Google Cloud Print hosts stopped the 79 Service Error symptoms.

Removing Google Cloud Print appears to require that the printer interact with Google servers, which does not appear to work at the moment.

The factory reset suggested by others in these forums does seem to solve the issue.

If you perform a factory reset (or "Restore Defaults), you may need to adjust certain settings after the reset before the printer will work as it did before: IP addresses, hostnames, Bonjour names, Wi-Fi settings, etc.

After the factory reset, HP ePrint will be off, and if you need it you will need to re-enable it. After that, you will likely have a new HP ePrint email address, and you may no longer be able to use the previous ePrint email address for your printer.

For one printer, we unplugged it from the network, used the control panel to reset the printer to defaults (Setup -> Service -> Restore Defaults), then adjusted the settings that were important to us.

There may be a more elegant solution, but this worked for us.

HP Recommended

Thanks, [content removed]. I did have to turn IPv6 off at that point and unfortunately it's using a different IP address for me, when that was previously used for a printer definition, but I had it manually set up to a different IP address. I'm just a home user an old tired guy and this has caused quite a hubbub I must say. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Thank You ! so far no reboots - appreciate the detailed summary who da thought ? 

HP Recommended

Can you send me the instructions that you sent another user here? I am having the same problem and have done all of the steps you mentioned above. The printer will not stop initializing.

Please help!

HP Recommended

I cant do anything you suggested because it keeps cylcing through the dang error code. 

HP Recommended

Disconnecting the printer from the network should make the 79 Service Error stop, giving you time to attempt one of the possible solutions.

If the printer is connected via Ethernet, you can unplug the Ethernet cable. If the printer is connected via Wi-Fi, either (quickly) use the menus to turn off Wi-Fi, or consider another option, like turning off your Wi-Fi access point/router.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

See the input above 4/22 at 2:39 pm from an IT pro. I described at 4/22 at 3:33 pm how I did the reset but HP removed that process, and some of what I experienced.  The IT person above suggested we reset it as copied in below - some cleanup needed after the reset. My printer has worked entirely normally for the rest of the day today. Not one reboot.  I didn't even unplug my home router when I did my version of the reset...

-----------

"For one printer, we unplugged it from the network or, used the control panel to reset the printer to defaults (Setup -> Service -> Restore Defaults), then adjusted the settings that were important to us."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.