Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

The In an infrastructure network use 802.11b/g behavior method works for me ! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello, I have the exact same problem with an HP Officejet 7500.  It prints one line, waits 5 minutes and then another line and so on.  I would like to try the second experiment which solved the problem for the previous guy but I can't get in the web configuration page.  I type the address in my browser and nothing happens.  It just searches and searches forever.

HP Recommended

Try disabling your security system's firewall.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

I didn't have to but for some reason I am now able to go in the printer web page and change the configuration.  I set a fixed IP address and blank gateway and dns server and rebooted the whole thing.

It worked once but doesn't work anymore.  I seem to think the slow printing problem occurs when I print while the printer is in sleep mode.  It awakens but prints like 1 line per 5 minutes.

If I reboot everything, it prints fine.  Until it gets into sleep mode again.

HP Recommended

Forget what I just said.  It doesn't work anymore when I reboot.  It prints correctly 1 time out of 10 times I try to print and I don't seem to find any correlation with anything.

All I know is I spend the better part of 3 days on this stupid printer and I can't make it work.

Any ideas ?

HP Recommended

OK, let's do this:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know this, enter the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (ends with .1) for the gateway and first DNS. Leave the second one blank.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your help.

Once again I can't access the printer configuration web page (192.168.0.199)  no matter how hard I try.  The browser just searches and searches.  I've deactivated the firewall and it does the same thing.

However, if I try to access my D-Link router web page at 192.168.0.1 it opens instantly (whether or not the firewall is activated or not) so the problem doesn't seem to be from the computer side of things.

Also, the configuration you're proposing  is the exact same one that was in the printer since the beginning (and which doesn't work).  I've since changed it following an earlier post.

HP Recommended

What brand/model router are you using?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

It's a D-Link DIR-628

P/N: CIR628ACA...A2

S/N: F3SB188007491

Thanks again for your time.

I haven't tried printing with just an ad-hoc connection (without going through the router).  Maybe that would work.  I just don't know if I could print with my ipad with an ad-hoc connection (I can't now).

HP Recommended

iPads don't support ad-hoc connections.

I think your D-link has a DHCP range of .2 to .254 (the whole range).  You may want to try to reduce the DHCP range to something like .2 to .200 then set the printer outside that range.

The other thing you can try is when setting a manual IP leave the gateway and DNS entries blank (not zeros or spaces).

I am employed by HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.