Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi, I tried switching to all of the protocols but nothing fixed it. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please let us know your printer model

Please also clarify if the printer is connected with a USB cable or through a network connection.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I've had the same problem - last week the printers were working fine, this week I am getting a failed filter message. I use USB cords for both (one at home can be used wirelessly by wont work with the USB)

I have an envy 4520 and a deskjet 4155

HP Recommended

I have a hp8620

HP Recommended

My Chromebook was just updated to Version 100.0.4896.93 (Official Build) (64-bit), did the requisite restart. Still had the printer error "filter failed" from a PDF email attachment. So I went to my Android phone to print the PDF attachment in my **bleep** account and it printed just fine. I suggest this is Google's problem with Chromebooks.

HP Recommended

I had this error printing a PDF file on my Chromebook to my HP LaserJet M15w printer. I tried everything suggested in the HP and Google postings on this issue. And from my (Pixel 5a) Android phone, the PDF file would print fine. So I went to my Windows 10 laptop and learned that there was a firmware update available. This did not show up when I viewed this information from Chrome on my Chromebook (the Web site determined the OS and displayed information accordingly). I installed the firmware update from my Windows laptop and now everything works fine.

This is about the third issue in the past couple of years pertaining to Chromebooks that I could only resolve from my Windows laptop. The others were with certain apps however.

HP Recommended

My apologies for this posting. My second post includes my resolution: a firmware upgrade (HP LaserJet M15w) discovered (i.e., not seen from my Chromebook) and installed from my Windows laptop. BTW the forum replaced the name of the very popular email app with "**bleep**".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.