Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

We purchased an HP 4301fdw Color LaserJet in the last couple weeks, and it’s been nothing but problems.

The main issue is, it will not print about 25% of print jobs. Whether coming from standard programs like Word, Google Chrome (**bleep**), etc etc, or a specialized program we use. It will not print certain reports from there either. All are 8 ½ x 11, standard paper.

The job initially starts, you will hear the printer make a sound for a second, then nothing will come out. A message appears in the lower right of the screen from Windows 10 saying “Error printing on HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP 4301”. In the queue you will see the job stuck in an error state.

We also have the previous model HP M479fdw printer, and a Lexmark printer, both of which have absolutely no problem printing the exact same documents. Then you switch the printer to the new 4301fdw, and you get an error, and it won’t print. Even after the print queue is clear of other stuck jobs.

It was originally set up wirelessly. When these issues were discovered, we then set it up directly with an ethernet cable. Still had the same exact issues. I completely uninstalled everything HP in the Windows Apps, then reinstalled the driver, which seems to always come up as the “HP Smart Universal Printing” driver.

I’ve tried downloading the regular driver from the “Driver” section on the website. Also tried the “Basic Drivers” section. Regardless it always seems to come up with the “HP Smart Universal Printing” driver. Is there a regular “4301” driver I can try with this printer? I’ve often had trouble with HP “Smart” drivers, which are anything but.

As a long shot, I tried the UPD from this “4300 Printer” series website as well, but that didn’t allow me to print anything at all. https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-4300-printer-series/84041

I’m not even going to get into the scanning issues, because that’s a whole other topic. I just wish they still made the M479. I won’t buy one used, but those printers were work horses, and I never had any issues.

Anyone with any advice, please let me know, or unfortunately, this 4301 printer has to be returned.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The link does not work so I do not see what exact driver you are using, however you should be using the Smart Universal Printer driver with this product, not the older standard Universal Printer Driver.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I am using the correct driver that says “HP Smart Universal Printing”.

That's why I mentioned that tried the older "Universal Print Driver" as a long shot from the HP 4300 series website.

It's odd that the link doesn't work for you because it works fine for me.  Regardless, just search for "hp 4300 universal print driver" and that's what I tried.  It didn't printer at all when I tried that, so it doesn't matter.

By the way, i also made sure all Windows updates were up to date as well as the latest firmware update on the 4301 printer.

I'm using a Dell computer, and made sure all the hardware/BIOS updates were current as well.

Thanks for the reply.

HP Recommended

There is a basic driver posted on support.hp.com. https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-4301-4303dw-fdn-fdw-print...

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Yes, that link you provided is the main link for that printer, which is what I initially tried. 

As I mentioned in my original post, I’ve tried downloading the regular driver from the “Driver” section on the website. Also tried the basic driver in the “Basic Drivers” section.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I was in a similar situation, just bought the printer and couldn't get any PC to print to it. I contacted HP support, surprisingly wasn't the worst experience ever, took ~30min beginning to end with phone/remote support. Their fix was to use the latest HP Universal Printing PCL 6 Driver (via HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6 (64-bit self-installer), v7.1.0.25570; https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/upd/4157320/model/4157320 ) and connect via IP address as opposed to other options. It has worked so far, but it has only been a few hours. Hope that helps...

HP Recommended

Did this driver continue to work for you? I just installed per your recommendation but was unable to get a problematic Google Doc to print on the 4301fdw. 

It is extremely frustrating. I had an HP Pagewide Pro for 8 years without issues (aside from expensive toner). This latest HP offering is buggy beyond belief. I have a staff of 8 people coming to me with a printer related issue at least twice a day...this after returning our first one thinking it was a lemon, and reinstalling the latest driver for everyone on the team. Any suggestions or updates by HP would be appreciated. Otherwise this printer is going back. 

HP Recommended

Personally if you have 8 people printing to this printer you may be using the wrong machine. That is strictly my opinion based on years in the field. There is always a budget issue that winds the wrong product in an office environment. The M578 would have been a better choice or the M480 for that matter.

HP Recommended

Yes, it has kept working. It's not the nicest printer interface but did the job. Installation options I believe were > Traditional Mode > Add a Printer via IP Address or Hostname > [dropdown] TCP/IP device. HP recommendation was to connect via the IP address rather than other autodetect methods.

I never had this problem with our PageWide either, was disappointed they were discontinued. In hindsight Canon has a nice color laser MFP with higher print resolution for less $, would probably go that route next time rather than defaulting to HP, previous Canon worked without issue also. 

HP Recommended

Greatly appreciate the feedback, Repairatrooper. I will seek one of these models out if I can't get the UPD to work. We are 8 strong but relatively low volume. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.